Evening
As Constance (Natasha Richardson) and Nina (Toni Collette) gather at the deathbed of their mother, Ann (Vanessa Redgrave), they learn for the first time that their mother lived an entire other lifetime during one evening 50 years ago, one she kept secret all their lives. In vivid flashbacks, the young Ann (played by Claire Daines) spends one night with a man named Harris (Patrick Wilson), whom she'd remember so many years later as the love of her life. As her daughters try to face the loss of their mother and the struggle to be happy in their own lives, they piece together an idea of love,… More

"The film disintegrates into an indulgent succession of intense, fawning exchanges that overwhelm Minot's thin and monotonous tale."
‑ Amy Simmons, Time Out
"Though the filmmaking is uneven, Evening redeems itself in its marvelous cast, which echoes the movies' themes by showcasing two real-life mother-daughter acting duos."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Given its stellar cast -- including Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep and Glenn Close -- and source material, it's hard not to think it should be better."
‑ Mike Scott, Times-Picayune
"Frankly I could watch Danes, Collette, Streep, Close, Richardson, etc., as they go food shopping, which just goes to show what a bunch of great actors can do for a fairly conventional tear-jerker."
‑ Scott Weinberg, DVDTalk.com
"An old lady takes a long time to die in this po-faced literary effort as a bed-ridden Redgrave looks back to the golden summer when her young self (Danes) found love."
‑ Neil Smith, thelondonpaper
"Even as I admired most of the performances -- and I do stress most of them -- I found myself searching in vain for one character to care about."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Evening achieves a kind of wisdom, though it's a strange and bitter wisdom. The film arrives at a pessimistic and almost nihilistic view of life as something not very important -- and then invites us to take strength and comfort in the notion."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"Antiseptic bourgeois swank"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Strong cast is best part of tragic romantic drama."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"Some big names have been assembled for this old-fashioned "woman's picture" about thwarted expectations and lifelong regrets."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"Evening's visual period splendour, its vivid characterizations and their comfortably clichéd relationships somehow draw us in and make us care."
‑ Rob Salem, Toronto Star
"Great cast, mediocre writing."
‑ Lisa Rose, Newark Star-Ledger
"What's the difference between slasher films and chick flicks? In slasher films they suffer less, and they die quicker. Evening, bless its banal heart, is a chick flick in all its fatuous glory."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"The performances are oddly muted, as if the screenplay refuses to allow a fine cast full rein. But those who loved the book can be assured that it has been translated faithfully enough to the screen."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"I am against the exploitation of women for sentimental screen purposes (Steel Magnolias, Crimes of the Heart). But what can you do? Here they moon and croon across a time divide."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times