Evening
"Evening" is a deeply emotional film that illuminates the timeless love which binds mother and daughter--seen through the prism of one mother's life as it crests with optimism, navigates a turning point, and ebbs to its close. Overcome by the power of memory, Ann Lord reveals a long-held secret to her concerned daughters: Constance, a contented wife and mother, and Nina, a restless single woman. Both are bedside when Ann calls out for the man she loved more than any other. But who is this "Harris," wonder her daughters, and "what is he to our mother?" While… More

"The film disintegrates into an indulgent succession of intense, fawning exchanges that overwhelm Minot's thin and monotonous tale."
‑ Amy Simmons, Time Out
"Evening's visual period splendour, its vivid characterizations and their comfortably clichéd relationships somehow draw us in and make us care."
‑ Rob Salem, Toronto Star
"Given its stellar cast -- including Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep and Glenn Close -- and source material, it's hard not to think it should be better."
‑ Mike Scott, Times-Picayune
"Frankly I could watch Danes, Collette, Streep, Close, Richardson, etc., as they go food shopping, which just goes to show what a bunch of great actors can do for a fairly conventional tear-jerker."
‑ Scott Weinberg, DVDTalk.com
"An old lady takes a long time to die in this po-faced literary effort as a bed-ridden Redgrave looks back to the golden summer when her young self (Danes) found love."
‑ Neil Smith, thelondonpaper
"Even as I admired most of the performances -- and I do stress most of them -- I found myself searching in vain for one character to care about."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Though the filmmaking is uneven, Evening redeems itself in its marvelous cast, which echoes the movies' themes by showcasing two real-life mother-daughter acting duos."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"Antiseptic bourgeois swank"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Strong cast is best part of tragic romantic drama."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"Some big names have been assembled for this old-fashioned "woman's picture" about thwarted expectations and lifelong regrets."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"If nothing else, Evening proves that there are such things as mistakes, by featuring two hours of bad choices and half-executed ideas."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"Evening achieves a kind of wisdom, though it's a strange and bitter wisdom. The film arrives at a pessimistic and almost nihilistic view of life as something not very important -- and then invites us to take strength and comfort in the notion."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"What's the difference between slasher films and chick flicks? In slasher films they suffer less, and they die quicker. Evening, bless its banal heart, is a chick flick in all its fatuous glory."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"The performances are oddly muted, as if the screenplay refuses to allow a fine cast full rein. But those who loved the book can be assured that it has been translated faithfully enough to the screen."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"I am against the exploitation of women for sentimental screen purposes (Steel Magnolias, Crimes of the Heart). But what can you do? Here they moon and croon across a time divide."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times