Everything Must Go
Adapted and directed by Dan Rush, and based on a short story by Raymond Carver, Everything Must Go tells the story of Nick (Will Ferrell) a career salesman whose days of being on top are long gone. The same day Nick gets fired, for falling off the wagon one last time, he returns home to discover his wife has left him, changed the locks on their suburban home and dumped all his possessions out on the front yard. Faced with his life imploding, Nick puts it all on the line - or more properly, on the lawn - reluctantly holding a yard sale that becomes a unique strategy for survival. -- (C)… More

"The unlikely combination of Will Ferrell and author Raymond Carver pays off beautifully."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Rush draws on the intense attachment we can feel for the mundane objects in our lives. For Nick, these things are talismans from a past that promised a lot more than it delivered."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"A gratifying story with a quietly powerful performance from funnyman Will Ferrell."
‑ John Hanlon, Big Hollywood
"The best movie Will Ferrell ever made"
‑ Roger Moore, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
"For a film that preaches giving it all away, Everything Must Go could have done with being a little more bold."
‑ Andrew Simpson, Fan The Fire
"I was not waiting for a punch line. I was not primed to laugh. I accepted Ferrell as Nick and, because of that, I was able to enjoy Everything Must Go on its own terms."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"In the end, Everything Must Go is something of a consciously static study in sadness, both well-made and wearying."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Has a similar problem to its protagonist: It just sort of sits there."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"Gentle understatement that stealthily but surely gets under the skin and touches the heart."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"Cue self pity, followed by despair, followed by resignation, hope and redemption...Screenwriter/director Dan Rush...opts for this standard redemption arc."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"This isn't Ferrell's first dramatic role; he played seriocomic leading men in Stranger Than Fiction and Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda. But it's the first one that provides a glimpse at his possible future as a Bill Murray-style character actor."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"Taking stock and letting go -- of superfluous things, of worn-out love -- is a strong theme. But the progression of the script is like Nick's self-help program. We're familiar with the steps."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"Good performances by Ferrell and Wallace and fantastic cinematography make Everything Must Go an enjoyable watch."
‑ Billy Tatum, We Got This Covered
"Everything Must Go is a pleasantly engaging, entertaining human portrait - a journey that doesn't physically stray very far, but which treads a million metaphorical miles within its main character as he attempts to go from broken man to redeemed man."
‑ Simon Gallagher, What Culture
"I found this a delicately observed, satisfying movie and greatly enjoyed it."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]