Farewell, My Queen
Farewell, My Queen marks the return of acclaimed director Benoît Jacquot and brilliantly captures the passions, debauchery, occasional glimpses of nobility and ultimately the chaos that engulfed the court of Marie Antoinette in the final days before the full-scale outbreak of the Revolution. Based on the best-selling novel by Chantal Thomas, the film stars Léa Seydoux as one of Marie's ladies-in-waiting, seemingly an innocent but quietly working her way into her mistress's special favors, until history tosses her fate onto a decidedly different path. With the action moving effortlessly… More

"Jacquot has chosen wisely in casting Léa Seydoux in the key role of Sidonie, whose luminous but watchful eyes suggest a soul wise beyond her years."
‑ Bruce Demara, Toronto Star
"Although it was shot at Versailles, and its actors are dressed to the 18th-century nines, Farewell, My Queen has a loose, reportorial intimacy about it."
‑ Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer
"Farewell, My Queen is a knife-edge drama that steadily builds tension that at times becomes as unbearably tense as the relationship between the three leading ladies."
‑ Roger Smith, FILMINK (Australia)
"Like the Americans, the French are infatuated with their history. They also love long close-ups of beautiful women in period costume. These elements combine in this painfully pretty period chamber piece."
‑ Jim Schembri, 3AW
"It's kind of the Rosencrantz and Gulidenstern Are Dead approach to history, observing it from the perspective of a "minor character", and it works ... it's a fascinating glimpse of a moment in history from, essentially, a safe bystander."
‑ CJ Johnson, ABC Radio (Australia)
""Farewell, My Queen" is a layer cake of royal pleasures, rote protocols and revolutionary politics. For skeptics who thought this story had grown stale, let them eat their words."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"As we follow her through the monarchy's abrupt collapse, "Farewell, My Queen" gives us intimate, unflaggingly energetic history as seen from the servants' quarters."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Sidonie is a character who literally eavesdrops on history, becoming the audience's first-person yet second-hand source for such significant events as the storming of the Bastille..."
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"It is the life of Versailles that Jacquot captures: all the petty politics, positioning and preening. And that is simply a glorious sight to see."
‑ Alice Tynan, Limelight
"A strangely mixed film, sliding from intimate scenes of royal indolence to muted panic in candlelit corridors, a distinct undercurrent of detached uncertainty always present in both story and style."
‑ Simon Weaving, Screenwize
"The details of the plot are unimportant: that is the main point made by the skillful director, Benoît Jacquot. It is the slowness with which they realize what is happening that fascinates."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"The foreboding and chaos contrast neatly with the lavish costumes and sets."
‑ Stephanie Merry, Washington Post
"His portrait loses some of its eerie power through the ugly twist at the film's conclusion, but she remains a fascinating enigma, and touchingly human."
‑ Kristin M. Jones, Film Comment Magazine
"While it does not hang together as a whole, Farewell, My Queen is still an interesting and engaging film that should be overall commended for what it does achieve."
‑ Thomas Caldwell, Cinema Autopsy
"A mood of melancholy and the film is beautifully lit and shot. But there's something missing in the telling and its often disjointed structure mitigates against the emotional satisfaction we are seeking"
‑ Andrew L. Urban, Urban Cinefile