Fired!
Devastated after being fired by director Woody Allen, actress Annabelle Gurwitch sets out on a soul-searching journey to discover whether getting the axe was the best or worst thing ever to happen in her professional career. Anyone who has been in the workforce for an extended amount of time has likely been there -- one minute you've got a good-paying job that you love, and the next minute you're standing in the unemployment line. When Annabelle Gurwitch got fired by the legendary director of such classics as Annie Hall and The Purple Rose of Cairo, she thought her career was over.… More

"It's a shame Allen fired her from that play. After all, then she might not have had the time to make this documentary."
‑ John Maynard, Washington Post
"A sharper documentarian might've tried harder to bridge the gap between the problems of the legitimate American work force and the struggles of relatively well-off celebrities, but Gurwitch, while charming, isn't exactly brimming with insight."
‑ Noel Murray, AV Club
"Narcisisstic, un-empathetic, but stumbles into genuine entertainment at times despite that."
‑ Karina Montgomery, Cinerina
"luckily for Gurwitch you can't get fired from a direct-to-DVD release."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"I was truly shocked when I looked at my watch and what seemed to be an hour and a half was only forty minutes."
‑ Eric Lurio, Greenwich Village Gazette
"As for her anticorporate muckraking, I can say only that I have watched Michael Moore and I have met Michael Moore, and Gurwitch is no Michael Moore."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"The video is heavy on actors and other showbiz types, and the self-centered Gurwitch doesn't distinguish between a factory worker laid off after decades on the job and an actor getting rejected during tryouts."
‑ Fred Camper, Chicago Reader
"...works best when Gurwitch is chatting with fellow celebrities..."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"Brings to mind Michael Moore, except not nearly as serious, rigorous, angry or focused."
‑ Brian Webster, Apollo Guide
"Just when the film seems to be getting bogged down in 'before I made it big' anecdotes, Gurwitch wisely broadens her focus, interviewing ordinary victims of corporate 'right-sizing.'"
‑ Maitland McDonagh, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Serious portions, in which Gurwitch appears far too often to be mugging and cracking wise, are intercut with dumb sketches."
‑ Lael Loewenstein, Los Angeles Times
"At the very least, it's gainful, worthwhile employment for its likable star."
‑ Sid Smith, Chicago Tribune
"A mish-mash of insincere journalism and too-random anecdoting."
‑ David Cornelius, eFilmCritic.com
"The film never really takes off."
‑ Bruce Kirkland, Jam! Movies
"The filmrambles a bit in places and its structure is veryloose and unformed leaving Fired! assomething of a misfire."
‑ Ted Murphy, Murphy's Movie Reviews