Flirting
Australian filmmaker John Duigan followed up his captivating The Year My Voice Broke with Flirting. Noah Taylor repeats his "Danny" characterization from the earlier film, while Thandie Newton plays a Ugandan exchange student who attends an Australian girls boarding school. Billeted at a nearby boy's school, Danny finds himself falling in love with Newton, though he is frequently at a loss as to how to express himself. Flirting is the second in a proposed trilogy of John Duigan-directed films revolving around Danny's "awkward" years. Featured in the cast as one of… More

"Not only worthy of its fine predecessor, this tender, perceptive, and gorgeously acted memory piece may even surpass it in subtlety, feeling, and depth of characterization."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"If Duigan maintains the dark yet humanistic humor that has graced both films, we should all be back for more."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"An absolute gem, and a treat not to be missed."
‑ Phillipa Bloom, Empire Magazine
"Animation is used here clearly to allow the story to be told with a certain amount of distance, yet the constant shift in tone and introduction of video elements keeps the film intensely unsettling."
‑ Jason Gorber, Film Scouts
"Nowhere near as novel as The Year My Voice Broke....but still worthwhile"
‑ Clint Morris, Moviehole
"Miles ahead of the average teen film, Flirting is a most agreeable sequel to John Duigan's earlier pic The Year My Voice Broke."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"This kind of emotional precision -- that is, this ability to make the subtlest psychological distinctions -- is a rare gift, and Duigan gets full mileage out of it."
‑ Hal Hinson, Washington Post
"An intelligently written and marvelously acted coming-of-age tale set in rural Australia in the 1960s."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"A truly memorable coming-of-age romance."
‑ Jon Niccum, Lawrence Journal-World
"Puts on display director John Duigan's knack for conveying the universal anguish of adolescence"
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"Mr. Duigan avoids melodrama, which is all to the good. Yet his gift for the acutely observed commonplace detail is neither strong nor original enough to transform the movie into something comparable to so many similar, better films."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"Flirting is one of those rare movies with characters I cared about intensely. I didn't simply observe them on the screen, I got involved in their decisions and hoped they made the right ones."
"Truthful and compassionate."
‑ , Film4
"An offbeat charmer"
‑ James Sanford, Kalamazoo Gazette
"Surprisingly endearing and frequently funny."
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com