"The filmmakers appear to have handed a dozen or so G.I. Joe dolls to a 9-year-old, watched him play for 110 minutes, and then shot a scene-for-scene remake."
‑ Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle
"Plays like a tiresomely extended evening of channel surfing."
‑ Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York
"A terrible film with a confusing plot, jarring tonal fluctuations, characters that engender no sympathy, and a strangely flippant attitude toward violence."
‑ Corey Atad, Movie Mezzanine
"A very flawed film, but it's superior to the first installment in every way."
"This action-packed drama is as bland and forgettable as its predecessor."
‑ John Hanlon, Big Hollywood
"What a blast G.I. Joe: Retaliation is! And then another blast, and another, in a series of concussive jolts that shred any conventional sense of story as thoroughly as anything since the last Michael Bay film."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"No go, "Joe.""
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"Did you think a second G.I. Joe movie was a good idea?"
‑ Wesley Morris, Grantland
"[Jon M.] Chu is a stylish director, and it's fun to watch him blow things up. He also paces the material furiously. For awhile, this strategy works. But, as with most movies that don't have any substance, the pomposity and spectacle grow tiresome."
‑ Forrest Hartman, Reno Gazette-Journal
"It's pretty bad. You don't need me to tell you that."
‑ Will Leitch, Deadspin
"When it comes to big and loud, this is the movie to beat for at least this week; what makes it entertaining is its unabashed wallow in these qualities ..."
‑ Glenn Kenny, MSN Movies
"Retaliation is less a sequel than an antidote to the calcified mound of crap that ostensibly inspired it."
‑ Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine
"Bruce Willis, The Rock, explosions, comedy and action help this popcorn sequel rise above its more Sci-Fi predecessor, but even fans caught up in the action will occasionally find this live action film to be just a bit too cartoonish."
‑ J.C. Maçek III, PopMatters
"I'd be hard-pressed to call any of it 'exciting'; mostly the film just chugs along, steadily going from one plot point to the next, neither engaging us nor boring us."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"Has a great deal more grace and goodwill than its predecessor. It moves well, offers up the occasional surprise, and never takes itself too seriously."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Common Sense Media