Happiness

"Exhibits an almost pitch-perfect balance between condescension and compassion."
‑ Nick Schager, Lessons of Darkness
"It'll soon have you quoting German existential philosophers in coming to terms with it . . ."
‑ James O'Ehley, Movie Gurus
"...seduces us with subtle humor and then hammers us with unpleasantness; it seems as selfishly opportunistic as anything committed by the perverted characters it portrays."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis
"Solondz is one of the masters of flawlessly intermingling both pitch-black comedy and heartbreaking drama, sometimes at the very same moment."
‑ Dustin Putman, DustinPutman.com
"Solondz's view of [his characters] is prickly, perhaps, but he doesn't skewer them or indict humanity."
‑ Peter Henne, Film Journal International
"Happiness is tough stuff -- quietly confrontational, genuinely haunting, and, most disturbing of all, unexpectedly moving."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com
"Even in the darkest, sickest moments, there's always some kind of humor [but] what makes this comedy superior to most is that it remains painfully sincere."
‑ Kevin N. Laforest, Montreal Film Journal
"I'm fairly thick skinned, but this film managed to create major feelings of revulsion in me."
‑ Steve Rhodes, Internet Reviews
"If the film had managed somehow to keep the humor in with the shock quality, it would have been a triumph."
‑ Widgett Walls, Needcoffee.com
"Everyone in this world is pretty much a pig of some sort. Those that aren't are doomed to be victims."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"By far Solondz's best film, an original exploration of American suburban angst, with three Chekhovian sisters at the center and a gallery of "deviant" characters that are presented with humor in non-judgmental way."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"Some truly hilarious moments, but I spent most of the film with my mouth hanging open in shock."
‑ Michael W. Phillips, Jr., Goatdog's Movies
"A brave, brilliantly realized piece of work, one that will be debated about for years to come."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com
"We are talking humor here in a shade of black that a raven would envy."
‑ Arthur Lazere, culturevulture.net
"Happiness is not a film about happiness, but what is imagined as making one happy."