Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Hellboy 2)
Ron Perlman returns to the role of the big red BPRD agent in this sequel to 2004's Hellboy, directed once again by Guillermo del Toro and scripted as before in collaboration with original Hellboy creator Mike Mignola. For centuries, an ancient truce has kept the na´ve citizens of the human race safe from the horrors of the invisible realm -- but that's all about to change, and fast. A ruthless leader has emerged in the invisible realm, a tyrant just as comfortable walking the surface realm as he is living in the land of fantasy. When this power-mad ruler defies his bloodline to… More

"The parade of creatures Del Toro and his team have come up with as this scenario unfolds, starting with a tour of the legendary Troll Market that one-ups the Mos Eisley cantina scene in Star Wars, will make you want to tip your hat in wonder."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Del Toro's previous film, the complex, visually arresting Pan's Labyrinth, demonstrated his growth as a filmmaker, and though the themes here aren't as profound, the striking set design and use of nonhuman characters carry over."
‑ Joshua Katzman, Chicago Reader
"Hellboy II: The Golden Army zips from tense showdown to eerie spectacle at particle-accelerator speed."
‑ Peter Rowe, San Diego Union-Tribune
"If the first Hellboy was about the loss of our fathers and the mystery of where we come from, Hellboy II centers on where we are going, and what we do when the mantle passes."
‑ Rob Humanick, Projection Booth
"Style over substance, no doubt, but when you've got this much style who cares?"
‑ Mike Edwards, What Culture
"Let's hope Universal stays the course and gives us that opportunity. People as creative as del Toro and his gang need all the support we can give them."
‑ Tom Charity, CNN.com
"This film is happy to coast on its good humor and brilliant action pieces. Fair enough, since del Toro has taken the poetry of some of his best work and butched it up, creating some of the most amazing-looking creatures and battles of his career."
‑ Bruce Diones, New Yorker
"Guillermo del Toro's mastery of fantasy film-making and his understanding of the multi-faceted richness of the genre guides this sequel to visually imaginative and intricately detailed heights."
‑ Alan Jones, Radio Times
"Easily the most enjoyable of recent comic-book movies."
‑ Michael Atkinson, Sight and Sound
"hile the production design, creatures and many visuals benefit greatly from del Toro's unabashed imagination being allowed to run free, the script is even more enslaved to the mechanically cobbled together conventions of everyday Summer blockbusters."
‑ Garth Franklin, Dark Horizons
"Despite its comic-book trappings, Hellboy II, even more so than its predecessor, Hellboy, resembles nothing so much as an art film phantasmagoria."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
"In the end I found myself pulling for the bad guy -- because at least he was interesting."
‑ Laremy Legel, Film.com
"For all its gorgeous freakishness, the movie is even more about love and friendship than the first one was."
‑ Gary Susman, Boston Phoenix
"It wouldn't be classic del Toro without the razzle-dazzle. The Golden Army provide that as they finally rise up, but even in the culminating moments of battle, it is del Toro's feel for human grace that shines through."
‑ Stella Papamichael, Digital Spy
"Hellboy II is still very entertaining, even if it is simultaneously a little lackluster, and fans of the original are sure to like it. It probably won't hold up well on repeat viewings though."
‑ Joshua Starnes, ComingSoon.net