Hello I Must Be Going
Hello I Must Be Going
Selected as the opening night film for Sundance 2012, Hello I Must Be Going features acclaimed actress Melanie Lynskey in her breakout role as Amy, a recent divorcée who seeks refuge in the suburban Connecticut home of her parents (Blythe Danner and John Rubinstein). Demoralized and uncertain of her future, Amy begins an affair with a 19-year-old actor (Christopher Abbott) that jumpstarts her passion for life and helps her discover an independence and sense of purpose that she has missed for years. Coupling Danner's subtle, moving performance as a frustrated empty nester with Lynskey's… More

""Hello I Must Be Going" is at once an intriguing character study and a refreshingly offbeat romance."
‑ Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"Succeeds almost entirely on the strength of Melanie Lynskey's heartfelt and humorous performance in the lead role."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"Lynskey imbues the self-doubting Amy with such lightness that she manages to make neediness appealing."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune
"Sharp writing and solid performances elevate this modest low-budget romance."
‑ Todd Jorgenson, Cinemalogue.com
"It's harmless, and there's really nothing outright awful about the movie, it just could have been so much better if the filmmakers thought outside of the Sundance box for this one."
‑ Austin Kennedy, Sin Magazine
"The movie's sharp-tongued and softhearted, a Sundance kind of film that mostly sidesteps generic Sundanceyness."
‑ Ty Burr, Boston Globe
"Sarah Koskoff's play-it-safe script and Louiso's heavy-handed direction combine to kill the potential of "Hello I Must Be Going.""
‑ G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle
"A fine and funny film balanced perfectly between heartbreak and uplift, anchored by a rich, superlative turn from Melanie Lynskey."
‑ Brent Simon, Shared Darkness
"The film is worth seeing for the performances, but the drama is a nonstarter."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"It has plenty of little moments for a great actress to shine. It's just not very deep, or particularly fresh."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Sarah Koskoff's screenplay is flagrantly duplicitous, introducing the heroine as a self-pitying sloth, then trying to pass her off as likable by making nearly all the other characters drips, snobs, or unfeeling scolds."
‑ Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader
"Lynskey lets us see, from deep within Amy's fog, an instinctual desire to please, and a sense of innocent wonderment at how she could possibly have gotten into such a mess."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"I'm of two minds about Hello I Must Be Going. It's a slow-paced movie, and at times, too slow ... Yet the fine actors, especially the emotive-faced Melanie Lynskey and the restrained Blythe Danner, elevate the film well beyond its story line."
‑ Emily S. Mendel, culturevulture.net
"Sharp enough to point out some compelling issues without pretending that it has all the answers."
‑ Chris Hewitt (St. Paul), St. Paul Pioneer Press
"The script's contrivances and the director's lax handling aren't enough to hold you."
‑ Shawn Levy, Oregonian