Hofshat Kaits (My Father My Lord)
Hofshat Kaits (My Father My Lord)
"My Father My Lord" is an intimate and deeply disturbing story of the conflict between a father's love and his deep devotion to religion. A respected Orthodox Rabbi dotes on his only son but his religious strictures leave an emotional gap between the impish child and the stern father. When the father's all-consuming obsession with observing religious ritual inadvertently leads to tragedy, his previously subservient wife rages against both her husband and God. A dramatic retelling of the story of Abraham and Isaac with a devastating twist!

Buy SD $7.99 Rent SD $2.00
- -
Subscription
Stream Now
Stream Now

"You could say this film is at once a secular fable on a religious dilemma and an almost religious parable about an all-too-human tragedy."
‑ Wally Hammond, Time Out
"[Director David] Volach makes every moment count by holding tight close-ups on the faces of his extraordinarily tender, expressive cast, framing them with an elegant beauty."
‑ Tasha Robinson, Chicago Tribune
"Helped by gorgeous photography and sound design, it's a work of considerable force that bears comparison with Terence Davies's early films."
‑ Sukhdev Sandhu, Daily Telegraph
"A compelling, saddening film."
‑ Philip Kemp, Total Film
"Overemphasizes the parents' rigidities in detailed portrait of Ultra-Orthodox, but this family is three-dimensionally human through beautiful hand-held cinematography."
‑ Nora Lee Mandel, Film-Forward.com
"An impressive debut by 37-year-old Israeli writer-director David Volach, "My Father My Lord" squeezes more humanity into 72 minutes than most Hollywood movies can muster in two hours or more."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"It's an affecting portrait of family life that gives way to a profound depiction of faith shaken to its roots."
‑ Walter V. Addiego, San Francisco Chronicle
"This approach - together with Volach's tenderness in describing Menahem's sense of wonder - makes the film's middle scenes beguiling."
‑ Edward Porter, Sunday Times (UK)
"Brilliantly acted, shot with rare skill and has the force of a Biblical parable without losing its essential affection towards its characters, even Abraham. Do not miss it."
‑ , This is London
"[An] assured, amazing 72-minute debut Israeli film, in which every delicate shot counts for the greater emotional impact."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Volach doesn't waste a word or action in his spare, finely crafted screenplay."
‑ Andrea Gronvall, Chicago Reader
"My Father My Lord is an impressive first feature that stands out for its emotional qualities, its ambition and its brevity. In this day of endless epics, this 73-minute Israeli film manages to do a lot with very little time."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"All three actors are excellent."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"My Father My Lord may seem deceptively slight on plot but it's a superbly acted, beautifully shot and emotionally devastating drama."
‑ Matthew Turner, ViewLondon
"David Volach's understated condemnation of religious extremism makes its points in lethally solemn tones, with neither caricature nor ridicule."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer