Holy Rollers
"Holy Rollers" is inspired by actual events in the late 1990s when Hasidic Jews were recruited as mules to smuggle ecstasy from Europe into the United States. It is the story of a young Hasid from an Orthodox Brooklyn community whose neighbor propositions him to transport "medicine" for an Israeli dealer and his girlfriend. He is exposed to the exciting and gritty worlds of Manhattan and Amsterdam nightlife, and as the business grows, his double life begins to rip his family apart and the community becomes suspicious of his illegal activities. Caught between life as a… More

"This is moviemaking on autopilot."
‑ Tom Huddleston, Time Out
"The scenes of family conflict are sketchily dramatized. We never get to the place where the two parts of Sam's personality meet -- the devoted son and sharp-dealing criminal."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"The one and only problem I had with HOLY ROLLERS was the pacing. I found myself getting slightly bored and at times, looking at my watch. I'm sure it's not easy to mesh Orthodox Judaism and Ecstasy, but Asch did a pretty good job."
‑ Chase Whale, Gordon and the Whale
"It's a surprisingly cool little film, not funny at all but rather seriously torn between the secular and the sacred, a conflict Eisenberg expresses with a neurotic intensity."
‑ Jason Solomons, Observer [UK]
"Dramatically uneven though well-performed and competently directed, Holy Rollers features an intriguing premise yet treads thin ice when battling an inconsistent script."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"It's not a terrible movie, but all the way through you feel as if you've already seen it."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"The film is slight, but Eisenberg is a deadpan delight."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Offering the viewer hardly any reason to feel this story is credible."
"It's a familiar premise and Holy Rollers sprinkles precisely nothing new into the roll-up."
‑ David Edwards, Daily Mirror [UK]
"Holy Rollers is based on true events but it lacks any spark of originality."
‑ Caroline Jowett, Daily Express
"It's sadder and scarier than its predecessors, but it also may be the most important chapter in the tale."
‑ Rafer Guzman, Newsday
"As a thriller, it's bubkes."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"Despite a suitably nervy turn from Eisenberg, there's no energy to the film-making or much insight into the story."
‑ Alistair Harkness, Scotsman
"We expect more than we eventually get, even if what we get is watchable throughout."
‑ Derek Malcolm, This is London
"[A] breathless, enjoyable comedy-thriller based on the true story of how Hassidic Jews were recruited as mules in the late 1990s to smuggle ecstasy pills from Amsterdam into New York."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian