Horse Feathers
If ever there was an archetypal Marx Brothers comedy, it was the team's 1932 offering Horse Feathers. Groucho Marx is cast as Professor Quincy Adams Wagstaff, the newest president of Huxley College. As he delivers his introductory speech before the assembled student body ("As I look out among your smiling, eager faces, I can readily understand why this college is flat on its back"), he maps out his plans for the future by singing those deathless hits Whatever It Is, I'm Against It and I Always Get My Man. He then has a powwow with his son Frank (Zeppo Marx), who has been a… More

"The madcap Marxes, in one of their maddest screen frolics."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"This 1932 release was the first Marx film to take on the Depression, and the brothers manage to satirize everything from education to prostitution and bootlegging."
‑ Don Druker, Chicago Reader
"Funny Marx Bros classic, featuring four brothers on a tear at college."
‑ Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com
"Witty, funny and great."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"The grandfather in spirit and fact of both Tex Avery and Billy Wilder."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"The Brothers have never been so chaotic or so aggressively funny."
‑ , Time Out
"The Marx Brothers at their wacky best."
‑ Randy White, Common Sense Media
"Under the loose but capable direction of Norman Z. McLeod, the Marxes leap from one lunatic set piece to the next. Wagstaff talks over, below and around everyone he meets."
‑ Phil Villarreal, Arizona Daily Star
"Not a personal Marx brothers favorite but a decent film nonetheless."
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com
"The final game in this film is a hallmark in the Brothers' oeuvre."
‑ Rumsey Taylor, Not Coming to a Theater Near You
"Some of the fun is even more reprehensible than the doings of these clowns in previous films, but there is no denying that their antics and their patter are helped along by originality and ready wit."
‑ Mordaunt Hall, New York Times
"The Marx Brothers bring their special brand of anarchy to the world of college football in this wonderfully madcap comedy."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"...[there's an] overall feeling of pointlessness at work here."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"An anarchic parody of college life."
"Swordfish! "Everyone Says I Love You!" One of the funniest of the early Marx films; a crazy quilt of puns and gags."
‑ Bob Bloom, Journal and Courier (Lafayette, IN)