I Am
I AM, a prismatic and probing exploration of our world, what's wrong with it, and what we can do to make it better, represents Tom Shadyac's first foray into non-fiction following a career as one of Hollywood's leading comedy practitioners, with such successful titles as "Ace Ventura," "Liar Liar," and "Bruce Almighty" to his credit. I AM recounts what happened to the filmmaker after a cycling accident left him incapacitated, possibly for good. Though he ultimately recovered, he emerged a changed man. Disillusioned with life on the A-list, he sold his… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"Whatever leaps of logic yawn in the film's poorly cobbled-together arguments are papered over by its wash of button-pushing images, from regimented soldiers and deadly explosions to flocks of wild geese and sunbeams breaking through the clouds."
‑ Ronnie Scheib, Variety
"An open heart can be a recipe for ridicule, particularly in a culture where consumption is mistaken for a moral imperative."
‑ Joe Williams, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"a well-meaning metaphysical inquiry that hits all the right sentiments but manages precious little substance"
‑ Jay Antani, Cinema Writer
"The feature-film equivalent of one of those 'Coexist' bumper stickers -- you know, the ones where the 'X' is a Star of David, the 'O' is a peace sign, and so on."
‑ John Beifuss, Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
"Despite some beautiful travel photography from cameraman Roko Belic and swift editing by Jennifer Abbott, "I Am" remains a personal diary that leaves the casual moviegoer out of the experience."
‑ Steve Ramos, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"What "I Am" is wanting is a sense that it actually wrestles with anything, that it can stand up to a contrary point of view that the film's 76 minutes are so utterly lacking."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Happily, the frisky Shadyac does not sermonize. He is a puckish Sherpa to the frontiers of science and faith."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"Unfortunately, while Shadyac the person may have gone through a life-altering transformation, Shadyac the director hasn't improved much."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"a sweet movie, but an extremely slight one that seems not to notice the banality of its no doubt profoundly felt, anti-materialist worldview ..."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"I believe Shadyac had a meaningful epiphany. I'm not sure it's that meaningful for the rest of us."
‑ Josh Larsen, LarsenOnFilm
"I Am is looking for a little bit of hope in this world. Happily, it finds some. A great deal actually."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"I'm not an ideal viewer for a documentary like "I Am," which involves the ingestion of Woo Woo in industrial bulk. When I see a man whose mind is being read by yogurt, I expect to find that man in a comedy starring, oh, someone like Jim Carrey."
"It's admirably optimistic -- and it's hard to argue with free hugs -- but the world is a whole lot more complex than Shadyac seems to realize."
‑ Mike Scott, Times-Picayune
"Looking for proof that humans are hard-wired for compassion and altruism? Look no further."
‑ Robert W. Butler, Kansas City Star
"The truth is that Shadyac's dumb comedies have probably done a lot more to bring happiness to humanity."
‑ Josh Bell, Las Vegas Weekly