I Am David
A young boy is sent on a remarkable odyssey as he flees a Communist prison camp in this historical drama, set in Eastern Europe in the early '50s. David (Ben Tibber) is a 12-year-old boy who was sentenced with his parents to a Bulgarian labor camp when they were found guilty of political subversion; he hasn't seen his folks in years, and looks to fellow inmate Johannes (Jim Caviezel) for protection and guidance. One day, David is able to escape, and as he flees, he is given a sealed envelope with strict instructions that he is to travel to Denmark, and he cannot open the letter until… More

Buy SD $17.99 -
- -
Buy SD $9.99 -
Buy HD $9.99 -

"Clearly, huge tankers of disbelief must be suspended in a sea of goodwill to get into the spirit of the film."
‑ Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
"Feig's neorealist approach to the look of the film might work better if he didn't fill it with so many coincidences and melodramatic flourishes."
‑ John Monaghan, Detroit Free Press
"While some parents might wish the film had more emotional depth, they will probably appreciate the gentle humor. Then they can introduce their children to the book."
‑ Peter T. Chattaway, Christianity Today
"It is not an especially brilliant film, nor does it execute its ideas with particular flair, and yet I cannot resist liking and being moved by it."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com
"How David escapes, alas, is less compelling than wondering how this drearily earnest movie escaped the Hallmark Channel."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune
"The film is marred by too many coincidences, but there are a couple of twists at the end that tug at the heartstrings and leave you with a warm feeling."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"I know, I know, I'm supposed to get sentimental about this heart-warming tale. But I couldn't believe a moment of it, and never identified with little David."
"Get out the Game Boy instead."
‑ Jules Brenner, Filmcritic.com
"A nice enough picture, but it's also slow and meandering. Watching it is like seeing a decent Family Channel movie, except in this case you have to pay for it."
‑ Frank Swietek, One Guy's Opinion
"While the material itself has promise (it's an adaptation of Anne Holm's best-selling novel), this drama fumbles and stumbles its way to a resolution that's far too easy."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"It's not lack of a strong story that keeps I Am David from taking off. Blame a straightforward approach that makes the movie feel too much like an after-school special."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Manipulative though it is, it doesn't generate much real emotion."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"It's like Tom Sawyer's Great Escape - a strange combination of stories that's interesting, but doesn't quite capture your emotions."
‑ Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, TheMovieChicks.com
"While probably not suitable for the wee ones, older kids and most adults will love this exciting and heartfelt adventure of one boy's survival during the darkest days of post-war Europe."
‑ Ken Fox, TV Guide's Movie Guide
"It's refreshing to watch a movie aimed at young people that's actually grounded in reality."
‑ , E! Online