I Am I
I AM I is the story of a young woman, Rachael (Jocelyn Towne), who meets her estranged father Gene (Kevin Tighe) at her mother's funeral. Eager to get to know her father, Rachael later tracks him down at an assisted living home only to realize that Gene suffers from memory loss and thinks he is still a young man. He has no recollection of having a daughter and instead is convinced that Rachael is actually her mother. After trying and failing to make him remember her, Rachael eventually decides to go along with her father's delusions by pretending to be her mother in order to get to… More

"The film, financed by a Kickstarter campaign, looks polished enough. But its investors' money might have been better spent elsewhere."
‑ Andy Webster, New York Times
"This potentially intriguing concept is given disappointingly bland, flat treatment ..."
‑ Dennis Harvey, Variety
"People sometimes complain that flashy, ostentatious visual stylization takes them out of the movie; what took me out of this movie was its flat, lifeless, unimaginative and conventional visual style ..."
‑ Glenn Kenny, RogerEbert.com
"Jocelyn Towne's pleasing, minor-key amnesia drama I Am I takes its premise to a troubling extreme."
‑ Chris Klimek, The Dissolve
"[Towne] proves unable to keep the film's originality from rapidly curdling into preposterousness."
‑ Inkoo Kang, Los Angeles Times
"The moving I Am I presents a refreshing spin on both the amnesia and daddy issues genres."
‑ Sherilyn Connelly, Village Voice
"Towne's premise is, to say the least, a bit trying, and she does not help matters by presenting it in such a grimly purposeful manner, devoid of any relieving black humor one would think inherent in her material."
‑ David Noh, Film Journal International
"It takes nearly an hour and a half to watch the charade go south. I'm not sure it's worth the wait."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"While there are more than a couple moments of tenderness, which most parents and children will be able to relate to, the great intentions "I Am I" may have had with its intimate story of bonding fall far too short."
‑ Nikola Grozdanovic, The Playlist
"Isn't bold work, but it's interesting when it finds true intimacy, masterminding a few suspenseful moments of poor judgment and bruised hearts that hold attention."
‑ Brian Orndorf, Blu-ray.com