I Am Legend
Adapted from acclaimed author Richard Matheson's influential novelette of the same name, Constantine director Francis Lawrence's I Am Legend follows the last man on Earth as he struggles to survive while fending off the infected survivors of a devastating vampiric plague. A brilliant scientist who raced to discover a cure for the man-made virus as humanity came crumbling down all around him, Robert Neville (Will Smith) was inexplicably immune to the highly contagious superbug. Now the entire population of New York City -- and perhaps the world -- has been transformed into carnivorous… More

"Smith turns in a terrific performance, nailing Neville's angst while allowing room for humor."
‑ Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
"I Am Legend is a grenade that goes off when least expected. It has more horror than heart, but it is never boring."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"It's a better-than-average blockbuster, which sweeps around some large ideas and interesting themes, but never delves for long enough to make this film a true classic."
‑ Alex Fletcher, Digital Spy
"This is no graphic shoot-'em-up but an intelligent, if sometimes sentimental, exploration of human decency and responsibility that ponders the limits of rationality and faith."
‑ Peter Keough, Boston Phoenix
"For everything that is good about it, though, I Am Legend struggles against two primary problems."
‑ James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk
"When they do, banging their heads against plate glass as movie zombies always do, I started needing something else to think about."
‑ Bob Mondello, NPR.org
"So often, sci-fi is overproduced, but I Am Legend doesn't look like a CGI extravaganza. It looks like an edgy suspense movie shot on the fly in New York City after the fall. And because of that, it's all the more effective."
‑ Tom Charity, CNN.com
"Inevitably, ideas give way to special-effects"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"There are some good points, but there are too many ineffectual aspects that keep I Am Legend from being the sophisticated film it was clearly meant to be."
‑ Felix Gonzalez Jr., DVD Review
"It left me highly entertained, since out of the original story the filmmakers have created a different, but exciting and tense story filled with action, suspense and a lead character you can truly care about."
‑ Scott Nash, Three Movie Buffs
"I wouldn't dream of giving away the ending, but it's not likely to satisfy either the action crowd or Matheson fans."
‑ David Ansen, Newsweek
"You're left gawping at $100 million-worth of eye-popping futuristic B-movie."
‑ Nigel Floyd, Time Out
"I Am Legend is three film genres for the price of one: Science Fiction, Action, and Horror, and while it's no classic in any one arena it remains edgy fun."
‑ Craig Phillips, GreenCine
"Smith still manages to find something touching and occasionally even tragic in the character."
‑ John Hazelton, Screen International
"The movie is simply okay. Not awful, not great. Definitely beneath Smith's abilities, though."
‑ David Medsker, Bullz-Eye.com