I Clowns (The Clowns)
The culmination of filmmaker Federico Fellini's lifelong love affair with circus folk was his 1971 The Clowns (I clowns). Fellini's alter ego this time is a young boy, taking in his first circus (again, we're treated to the "parade" motif so often utilized by the director). As the clowns go through their rollicking routines, Fellini takes the time to snipe at movie critics by having one humorless newspaperman, who keeps repeating "What does it mean?", inundated with pails of water. There is also a fleeting homage to Charlie Chaplin in the form of Chaplin's… More

"It's not that The Clowns is not a good deal of fun, or that it is boring; it's just that -- to me, anyway -- this sort of coda doesn't do justice to the entire career."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"Not Fellini's best, but Fellini nevertheless."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"This is artful and sometimes very amusing, but it doesn't work as fiction because Fellini is tied to facts, and it doesn't work as documentary because Fellini will not (cannot?) abandon his gift of giving the raw material an artistic shape."
"This is the film's ultimate message: don't think so much and just try to have some fun."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"The gorgeous, affectionate sequences outweigh the awkward ones, and The Clowns is an overall success."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Valentine to the world of clowns."