I Confess
Based on the turn-of-the-century play Our Two Consciences by Paul Anthelme, Hitchcock's I Confess is set in Quebec. Montgomery Clift plays a priest who hears the confession of church sexton O.E. Hasse. "I...killed...a man" whispers Hasse in tight closeup--and, bound by the laws of the Confessional, Clift is unable to turn Hasse over to the police. But police-inspector Karl Malden has a pretty good idea who the guilty party is: all evidence points to Clift. It seems that the dead man had been blackmailing Anne Baxter, who was once in a factually innocent, but seemingly exploitable… More

"The movie is more interesting than achieved: it's the most forthright statement of the transference theme in Hitchcock's work, but it's also the least nuanced."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"Alfred Hitchcock's famous talent for brewing a mood of fine suspense with clever direction and cutting is spent on a nigh suspenseless script."
‑ Bosley Crowther, New York Times
"Clift's man-in-crisis performance is one of his finest."
‑ Ken Mogg, Senses of Cinema
"Less than great, but still intriguing."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"It's still very much worth watching."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"While Hitchcock short-changes on the expected round of suspense for which he is noted, he does bring out a number of topflight performances and gives the picture an interesting polish that is documentary at times."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"It's heavy going at times..."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"Clift lets guilt channel through his matinee idol looks, a brief reminder of his more powerful performance in George Stevens' A Place in the Sun. (From Hitchcock 101)"
‑ Matthew Sorrento, PopMatters
"The biggest crime surrounding I Confess is the generally indifferent reception that the film has received over the years"
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews
"May or may not rank with Hitch's greatest masterpieces, but its premise offers perhaps the most compelling variation on his favorite theme, the innocent man wrongly accused."
‑ Steven D. Greydanus, Decent Films Guide
"A good, workmanlike thriller, I Confess is only fair-to-middling Hitchcock."
‑ , TIME Magazine
"It's entertaining, and the visuals speak volumes more than the over-cooked dialogue. Worth a look."
‑ Kim Newman, Empire Magazine
"The sincerely intense performances by Malden and Clift make this minor Hitchcock tale seem like a major Hitchcock tale."
"One of the most astonishing-looking films in all of black-and-white cinematography."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central
"a minor work in Hitchcock's canon"
‑ Christopher Null, Filmcritic.com