I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Hei yan quan)
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Hei yan quan)
Homeless on the streets of Kuala Lumpur, Hsiao Kang is robbed, beaten and left for dead; he is found and nursed by Rawang, an immigrant worker, who lives in the shell of a modernist building abandoned during construction. Rawang's feelings for his patient may or may not be sexual, but there's definitely something like lust in the eyes of Chyi, a waitress in a run-down old coffee shop, when they light upon the recovering Hsiao Kang. And so a triangle forms as a blanket of noxious fog settles on the city and everyone has trouble breathing.

"The hormones here don't rage so much as unfurl over two exquisite hours."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"The film ends so beautifully that it's easy to forgive the dead passages that preceded it and hope it carries over into his next movie."
‑ Scott Tobias, AV Club
"I Don't Want to Sleep Alone-which ends with a vision of fragile and drifting bliss as oneiric as anything in the swamp-moss-pherics of Andrei Tarkovsky-is nothing short of a dream"
‑ Chuck Stephens, Film Comment Magazine
"A subtle, slow-moving presentation of hope and responsibility that will test your patience if you are not a fan of elliptical, dreamlike narratives like those in Tsai's films."
‑ Michele Kenner, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"Spare an evening, if you feel adventurous."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times
"For Tsai's fans, Sleep offers many pleasures, including a heightened attention to nocturnal beauty and a gorgeous, uncharacteristic surrealism."
‑ Ben Kenigsberg, Time Out
"A serious return to creative form and a renewal of focus; there's a sense that every perfectly timed slow take and studied composition serves a purpose. And not a single melon gets shtupped."
‑ David Fear, Time Out New York
"A gorgeous film that won't disappoint."
"Music interlaces the action, which proceeds mostly without words, expression or, regrettably, interest."
‑ Anthony Quinn, Independent
"Directors who come up with films with "sleep" in the title shouldn't be this dull if they don't want glib comments made about them. Yes, I Don't Want To Sleep Alone is a snooze-fest."
‑ Sam Jordison, Film4
"I Don't Want to Sleep Alone is a title to keep in mind while absorbing this allusive, humid mood piece."
‑ Bill Stamets, Chicago Sun-Times
"I Don't Want to Sleep Alone is emotional in what it says about the need for connections, religious in what it asks about the universe."
‑ John Anderson, Newsday
"Tsai's style is essentially written in stone at this point, and [this] hardly challenges it. [He] is as visually adept here as ever, right up to the film's peaceful final shot."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"Working from a sombre palette and with little to no dialogue, Tsai crafts a dazed fantasy about companionship and its power to revivify."
‑ Tim Robey, Daily Telegraph
"While not as erotic as other films by this director, there's a languid sensuality to the story."
‑ Wendy Ide, Times [UK]