I Dreamed of Africa
"I Dreamed of Africa" is inspired by the true story of the indomitable Kuki Gallmann, a beautiful, inquisitive woman who had the courage to escape from her comfortable yet monotonous life in Italy to start anew in the wilds of Africa with her son Emanuele and her husband Paolo. Though first in awe of the incredible power of nature and sense of freedom in the wide open Kenyan countryside, Kuki soon discovers that life in rural Africa is not a fairy tale existence. Wild elephants and lions roam the land unhindered, devastating storms destroy all in their path and desperate poachers… More

"I Dreamed of Africa boasts the majestic landscapes and wildlife that explain why anyone would be spellbound by the place. But the story is fitfully episodic and the jerky editing doesn't help a bit."
‑ Desmond Ryan, Philadelphia Inquirer
"This film, based on a true story, transcends its handsomeness to present a subtle portrait of a woman's growing consciousness."
‑ Richard Schickel, TIME Magazine
"I Dreamed of Africa fails on so many levels that it's hard to even give it credit for the one area in which it excels."
‑ Paula Farmer, Metro Times (Detroit, MI)
"Here's hoping your own dreams of Africa are more interesting -- and better acted -- than this movie."
‑ Chris Kaltenbach, Baltimore Sun
"I Dreamed of Africa is, quite simply, one of the worst mainstream movies ever made."
‑ Glen Oliver, IGN Movies
"Basinger handles her role capably, but is absurdly miscast as an Italian, and French actor Perez fails to create credible chemistry with his co-star."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"In the opening segment of I Dreamed Of Africa, Kim Basinger breaks her leg. The rest of the film is so dull, you can almost hear the bone heal."
‑ Keith Phipps, AV Club
"It's very similar in story and theme to Out Of Africa but lacks that film's grandeur and real sense of what makes the heroine love the country."
‑ Mike Goodridge, Screen International
"Director Hugh Hudson gives us a Kenya that is dusty, bleak and generally unappealing. Rarely has a movie about Africa aroused so few feelings of escapism."
‑ George Meyer, Orlando Weekly
"The narration, presumably from Gallmann's book, must lose something in the translation; in Basinger's solemn readings, it sounds like ersatz greeting-card poetry."
‑ Jim Lane, Sacramento News & Review
"It's neither epic enough to fulfill a grand scope, nor intimate enough to be an overpowering emotional experience."
‑ Paul West, Seattle Times
"Basinger's performance is exceptional. She brings a raw, unselfconscious drive to the role that holds the film together, even while Hudson keeps it hopscotching across time."
‑ Jack Mathews, New York Daily News
"Given contemporary African issues, the film doesn't ring true or do anything beyond skate over a familiar and all-too melodramatic surface."
‑ Lorien Haynes, Radio Times
"This flawed film carries within it a rich and complex performance from Basinger."
‑ Serena Donadoni, Metro Times (Detroit, MI)
"This astonishingly awful film is a study in how a film can go terribly wrong from concept to execution."
‑ Michael Dequina, TheMovieReport.com