I Love Trouble
In the style of the screwball comedies of the 1930s and 1940s, I Love Trouble depicts the developing romance of two rival reporters who reluctantly fall for each other while competing for a major scoop. Old hand Peter Brackett (Nick Nolte) and aspiring newcomer Sabrina Peterson (Julia Roberts) first meet when they are both assigned to cover a mysterious train crash. The pair immediately develops a connection despite their professional rivalry, and they decide to work together. Sensing something fishy about the crash, they look deeper and are soon fighting to expose a wide-ranging conspiracy,… More

"No one expects movies like this one, set as it is in the largely mythological world of fiercely competitive daily newspapering, to be realistic. But neither should they be as flaccid and unconvincing as what we are presented with here."
‑ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"Again and again, the I Love Trouble script takes us deeper and deeper into the machinations of a high-tech company when what we want to see is Nolte and Roberts outfox each other."
‑ Gene Siskel, Chicago Tribune
"You can tell that they like each other by the way they hate each other. Shakespeare may have invented the recipe, Tracy and Hepburn may have refined it, but Nolte and Roberts certainly hold their own."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Baltimore Sun
"The running badinage of Roberts and Nolte lacks the tartness and bite that made those classic couplings and the old screwballs crackle with contentious wit."
‑ Dennis King, Tulsa World
"Straight out of the His Girl Friday school of newspaper romances, Trouble is anemically formulaic and completely uninspired."
‑ Leah Rozen, People Magazine
"Trouble is a sampler of the kind of roles Roberts and Nolte should play more often."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"Is there chemistry between Roberts and Nolte? Not really. This by-the-numbers production is more like math than chemistry."
‑ Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel
"The lack of chemistry onscreen allows the paper-thin premise to collapse in on itself, and there's very little else left to salvage."
‑ Angie Errigo, Empire Magazine
"If you can get your head round the idea of Julia Roberts as a ruthlessly ambitious newspaper reporter, then there's plenty to enjoy in this frivolous comedy thriller."
‑ David Parkinson, Radio Times
"Not even Roberts' trademark luminescence can save this one."
‑ , Film4
"Generic as its title, I Love Trouble is like a Xerox of a copy of a facsimile."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"It's like the worst possible Newman-Redford vehicle: the script reduces the stars to twinkling mannequins, and their chemistry barely rises to the buddy-buddy level."
‑ Michael Sragow, New Yorker
"There's a pervasive romanticism in I Love Trouble that depends on the chemistry generated by Roberts and Nolte."
‑ Candice Russell, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
"The picture works, thanks in part to actual chemistry between Nolte and Roberts."
‑ Gary Thompson, Philadelphia Daily News
"Slick camera work and strong chemistry between the stars are almost enough to save the picture from terminal triteness, but not quite."
‑ David Sterritt, Christian Science Monitor