I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Jeff Garlin, best known for his role as Larry David's manager on Curb Your Enthusiasm, has directed standup comedy specials for Jon Stewart and Denis Leary, and makes his feature-film debut with his own adaptation of his one-man stage show, I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With. Garlin stars as James, an overweight, depressed actor who does improv at Second City. James lives with his mother (Mina Kolb) and constantly cheats on his diet. His life seems to be in a downward spiral. He quits his acting job on a sleazy prank show, his girlfriend (Rebecca Sage Allen) breaks up with him, and his… More

"You have to like James and his outlook on life. It may not be glamorous, but it's one that eventually allows James a higher lever of satisfaction."
‑ Marta Barber, Miami Herald
"Despite Garlin's chops and cameos from a who's who of Second City alumni, the film can't find a consistent comic groove."
‑ David Fear, Time Out New York
"Though the title could use some trimming too, the movie pulls off that delicate balancing act between creating a sympathetic big guy with a huge eating disorder, while keeping the fat jokes tastefully funny."
‑ Prairie Miller, NewsBlaze
"Garlin wrote, directed, and stars in this endearing schlub-in-Chicago movie, which is based on his solo stage show of the same title."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"It may not exactly conform to what many people might expect to see from a current-day romantic comedy, it is one of the more satisfying examples of the genre to come along in recent months."
‑ Peter Sobczynski, eFilmCritic.com
"It's a nice little movie."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Garlin's directing has little pacing, and many of the borderline gags could have been salvaged with some sharper editing. And there's a shocking amount of jokes and situations that just don't work."
‑ G. Allen Johnson, San Francisco Chronicle
"The more James groans to an unsympathetic ear, "Why would they remake Marty--it's timeless?" we wonder why Garlin didn't take his own advice"
‑ Amy Nicholson, I.E. Weekly
"Some of James' adventures go nowhere, but his encounters with females ... are loaded with humor and warmth."
‑ Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune
"This is a film that can't quite decide if it wants to be a show-business spoof, a romantic comedy or an embarrassment comedy along the lines of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm."
‑ Jeff Vice, Deseret News, Salt Lake City
"Cheese is such a small, endearing and well-observed piece -- sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm without the excruciating bits."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"It celebrates its modesty, it becomes our friend, we're surprisingly touched by it even though it doesn't rock us. If there is such a thing as a must-see three-star movie, here it is."
"Offbeat indie romantic comedy for teens and up."
‑ S. Jhoanna Robledo, Common Sense Media
"..about as small as movies get, yet often, unexpectedly, as moving."
‑ Josh Larsen, Sun Publications (Chicago, IL)
"The movie has a strange tone... but there's a lot to admire here."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid