I Will Follow
I Will Follow
An Official Selection of AFI Fest, Chicago International Film Festival, RiverRun Film Festival and Winner of the Narrative Audience Award at Urbanworld Film Festival, I WILL FOLLOW is a quiet drama that explores the surprising thirst for life we experience after the death of someone we love. Maye is a success. Hot career. Hot boyfriend. But when her world is turned upside down by family tragedy, she must struggle to maintain her balance. I WILL FOLLOW chronicles a day in the life of a woman at a crossroads, and the twelve visitors who help her move into a brave, new world. -- (C) Official Site

"There's smooth-jazz polish to the emotions, even the unpleasant ones, in "I Will Follow.""
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"Shows a certain amount of promise but often falls prey to easy emotional beats and an overall sentimentality when it should push for moments less obvious, more rare, true and insightful."
‑ Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times
"Congrats to Salli Richardson-Whitfield for delivering a career performance, here, and to Ava DuVernay for shooting such a thought-provoking meditation on mortality in just a couple of weeks and on a micro budget."
‑ Kam Williams, NewsBlaze
"I Will Follow, Ava DuVernay's triumphant feature debut, is a life-affirming portrait of a woman, Maye (Salli Richardson-Whitfield), juggling all kinds of loss."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"As a director, DuVernay handles her actors with care, though visually the picture sometimes betrays its shoestring budget."
‑ John Hartl, Seattle Times
"If you want a movie with a flawless script, passionate actors, tears and laughs that result in inspiration, then this is a must-see. 'I Will Follow' is a full dose of humanity and makes me proud to be associated with the film industry."
‑ Clay Cane, BET.com
"This touching if insular drama about a woman grieving over the recent death of her aunt is well acted and incisively observed, although it's ultimately too low-key to have much dramatic impact."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"In one way or another, every emotion in this wonderful independent film is one I've experienced myself. Grief, of course. But also anger, loneliness, confusion and a sense of lost direction."