I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
I Woke Up Early the Day I Died
Aris Iliopulos directed this campy comedy utilizing schlock filmmaker Ed Wood's last unproduced screenplay. Stock footage and old hygiene films are intercut with this near-silent story following a cross-dresser (Billy Zane), who escapes from the Casa de la Loco Sanitarium, manages to acquire some money, and then loses it at a funeral attended by eccentric mourners. He then seeks them out, killing them one by one. Some script instructions appear as titles. Bud Cort makes an uncredited appearance, and Wood aficionados can spot Kathy Wood (the filmmaker's daughter) in a walk-on, while… More

"Wood's bargain-basement aesthetic is impossible to parody. That this mime show works better than it should is, in a sense, the ultimate dis."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"The budgets of [Wood's] own efforts would have been splurged within the first minute of DIED's title credits"
‑ Shane Burridge, rec.arts.movies.reviews
"Like all of the films Ed Wood directed, this new movie is a pure and simple dud."
‑ Dustin Putman, DustinPutman.com
"What redeems the whole enterprise is the affection that paradoxically comes through from its director, who obviously has tender memories of Mr. Wood."
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve
"It's sad and misguided and boring. Pretending to make a pathetically amateurish movie isn't nearly as effective as accidentally making one because you don't know any better."
‑ Anita Gates, New York Times
"As funny as a funeral."
‑ Phil Hall, Film Threat
"hough the film is distinctive, its unique style wore thin after about 20 minutes, and as it progressed, watching became a chore."
‑ Eugene Novikov, Film Blather
"I can recommend three more enjoyable alternatives: counting the number of hairs on the back of your forearm, practicing breaking a cinder block in half with your bare hand, or submitting to a colonoscopy."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"Nothing could be more lethal to a Wood script than actors who not only think they're hipper than what they're trying to do, but who also make sure that the audience knows it."
‑ Cole Gagne, Film Journal International
"Not funny enough to deserve a good rating."
‑ Mark R. Leeper, rec.arts.movies.reviews