If I Want To Whistle, I Whistle
If I Want To Whistle, I Whistle
Silviu has only two weeks left before his release from a hostile juvenile detention center. But when his mother, who abandoned him long ago, returns to take his younger brother away - a brother Silviu raised like a son those two weeks become an eternity. While his outcries for help fall on deaf ears, he finds himself mercilessly taunted and harassed by the other inmates. And just as Silviu's frustration evolves into full-throttled aggression, he is introduced to a beautiful social worker that he can only dream of being close to. Faced with a slew of conflicting emotions and wild with… More

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $3.99
- -
Subscription
Stream Now

"If 'The Death of Mr Lazarescu' and '4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days' represented the breakers of the so-called Romanian New Wave, this thinly competent entry is the backwash."
‑ Guy Lodge, Time Out
"I was strongly impressed."
‑ Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal
"Not for the first time, a Romanian film shows us an individual floundering within a system from which there can be no easy escape."
‑ Mike McCahill, Guardian [UK]
"Pistereanu mines a fine, compelling blend of menace and innocence."
‑ Tom Dawson, Total Film
"The film offers a paired-down, intense character-driven experience that propels its viewer into the suffocating world of life in juvenile detention."
‑ Robert Levin, Critic's Notebook
"The seams of the narrative start to show, and by the end you are more aware of the filmmakers' ideas than of the character's life."
‑ A.O. Scott, New York Times
"The tone, though not the style, brings to mind The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"This is Şerban's second feature, and even though it's not quite all there, we very much look forward to his third."
‑ David Jenkins, Little White Lies
"Brings us old news that criminals come from dysfunctional family backgrounds and bad environments ... ."
"Romanian prison drama is cold porridge."
‑ Don Groves, sbs.com.au
"It's a measure of the movie's success that one oscillates between two despairs -- noting the abject failure of the system and the utter futility of revolt."
‑ J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"Serban's film is as flawed as the bruised character at its centre, but almost as compelling too."
‑ Paul Gallagher, The List
"Bare-bones technical chops allow two outstanding young actors to hog the limelight in this nail-biting Romanian thriller-drama."
‑ Shaun Munro, What Culture
"A distressing portrayal of how basically good people can be affected by adverse circumstances."
‑ Jesse Cataldo, Slant Magazine
"A fine debut that provides another piece to the enigmatic puzzle that is Romanian cinema."
‑ Edward Douglas, ComingSoon.net