Il Divo
"Il Divo" displays a portrait of the controversial Italian politician Giulio Andreotti, the country's seven-time former prime minister, tried for Mafia ties and subsequently acquitted.

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $2.99
- -

"The film takes flight on the brilliant title performance by Tony Servillo (Gomorrah), who plays Andreotti like a mummified Alec Guinness, as if encased in layers of plaster of Paris."
‑ Jonathan F. Richards, Film.com
"The enigmatic Andreotti is the perfect subject for a biopic in the European tradition."
‑ Kerry Lengel, Arizona Republic
"A fascinating history of recent Italian politics."
‑ Wesley Lovell, Cinema Sight
"Combining clammy skin, busy hands, and a posture reminiscent of Snoopy in his vulture phase, [Servillo] (re-)creates a fascinating monster ... Given some CliffsNotes, the surrounding film might even be worthy of him."
‑ Andrew Wright, The Stranger (Seattle, WA)
"A stunning piece of work that feels both familiar and completely unique at the same time."
‑ Brian Tallerico, Movie Retriever
"We may not know the man, but we know the dance, as seen in the highly diverting and hugely controversial Il Divo, a biopic as wly as its subject."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"All in all, this phenomenal film illustrates Alexis de Tocqueville's observation that "The people get the government they deserve." In both meanings of the word, Il Divo is sensational."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"... not so much a savage satire as one disenchanted with the institutional corruption of politics."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Seanax.com
"Inventive and fun... Toni Servillo gives a truly exquisite performance, easily the finest seen on U.S. screens in 2009 thus far."
‑ Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy
"Servillo does such a good job of suggesting the drive and intelligence of the man that he automatically becomes one of the great recent cinematic symbols of absolute political power and the questionable means utilized in order to achieve it."
‑ Peter Sobczynski, eFilmCritic.com
"After I saw Il Divo, I suppose I should have felt indignation. I suppose I should also have felt that way after "The Godfather." But such films present such mesmerizing figures that I simply regard them, astonished."
"Il Divo joins Matteo Garrone's more expansive, more extraordinary Gomorrah -- which contains an even better performance from Servillo -- as a grim portrait of the trouble with modern Italy."
‑ Wesley Morris, Boston Globe
"... Sorrentino avoids the dreary conventions of the biopic in favor of a cheeky mix of music montages, dramatic re-enactments and hilariously deadpan takes ...."
‑ Sarah Boslaugh, Playback:stl
"This is a spectacular film about corruption in high places, specifically as that relates to the political life of Giulio Andreotti, seven times prime minister of Italy and a senator for life."
‑ Liz Braun, Jam! Movies
"Even with no knowledge of Italian government, you can enjoy this hip, un-stodgy, grimly entertaining dissection of it."
‑ Eric D. Snider, EricDSnider.com