I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
For I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, director Mike Hodges re-teams with Trevor Preston, the respected British television writer with whom he made a series of documentaries for ITV back in the 1960s. The film also brings the director together again with actor Clive Owen, the star of his previous film, Croupier, which signaled Hodges' resurgence. Owen plays Will Graham, a former London gangster who moved out to the country after suffering a breakdown of some sort. Will works clearing forests, and lives out of his van, until he loses his job over a lack of proper documentation. Meanwhile,… More

"Languorous, elliptical and dull."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"This is Owen's picture. He broods, he seethes, he plots. Sometimes he even speaks, but it's not necessary. One glance from Will is enough to send chills down anyone's spine."
‑ Jeff Strickler, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"While the performances are excellent and the Get Carter-in-reverse plot is intriguing, this is a film where atmospherics triumph over the script."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"Atmospheric post-noir film of the London underworld that never amounts to much of anything."
"Ace noir title, OK noir movie."
‑ David Elliott, San Diego Union-Tribune
"Matching the movie's restrained style, Owen is extraordinarily still, and all the more riveting because of it."
‑ Eric Harrison, Houston Chronicle
"Unfortunately, the characters and their motivations are so poorly defined that the story seems vague and incomplete."
‑ Gary Dowell, Dallas Morning News
"I'll Sleep When I'm Dead deftly traces the sad, steady pulse just under the skin of things . . . the lingering images etching out their own fitting epitaph."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"Next time Mike Hodges wants to make a movie, I would suggest he shoot it in total darkness and drop the dialogue."
‑ Tony Medley, tonymedley.com
"...a kind of inside-out noir, a stately film about the sad progress of a diminished and sad but still frightful and dangerous monster."
‑ Philip Martin, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
"A tight, well-made, evocative piece of filmmaking for true connoisseurs of gangster movies that is unnerving, yet completely sure of every step it takes."
‑ Rex Reed, New York Observer
"Those with the patience to adapt to its pace will find rewards."
‑ Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times
"...ended up sending us to slumberland a good deal sooner than the title implied."
‑ Luke Y. Thompson, New Times
"[S]trip[s] the mobster film down to its bare essentials, and the result is stark and relentless..."
‑ MaryAnn Johanson, Flick Filosopher
"Hodges and Preston have a commendable attitude, but with the thin story and shallow characters, even the right idea doesn't seem as interesting as it should be."
‑ Dan Lybarger, Kansas City Star