I'm Glad My Mother Is Alive
I'm Glad My Mother Is Alive
Based on a true story, I'm Glad That My Mother is Alive explores childhood trauma and its dire consequences on adult life. Given up for adoption as a toddler, troubled teenager Thomas becomes obsessed with tracking down his birth mother. After years of searching Thomas finds her single, with a small child, living in a nearby suburb and introduces himself. Traumatized by years of emptiness and longing for his mother, he starts an ambiguous relationship with her (part courtship, part obsession) which slowly drives him to an act of madness. -- (C) Strand

"Sophie Cattani as Julie takes us with her over several borders, and Vincent Rottiers as the latter-day Thomas is complete in his inchoate anger at fate."
‑ Stanley Kauffmann, The New Republic
"One of the film's strengths is its detached, even-handed view of someone whose turbulence and fits of rage are ultimately inexplicable, as is often the case in real life."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"Titillating, thought-provoking, confidently made, involving and well-written and paced all accurately describe this wonderful film."
‑ Blake Griffin, We Got This Covered
"Wrenching stuff, the kind of unrequited love story that, unfortunately, remains all too common in the real world."
‑ Marshall Fine, Hollywood & Fine
"The narrative easily goes back and forth in time; despite its Oedipal subtext, it avoids exploitation. Stellar performances by Rottiers and Cattani help keep the movie on track."
‑ V.A. Musetto, New York Post
"Rottiers is excellent at embodying someone who projects vulnerability most when he's attempting strength, and who continually, heartbreakingly searches his mother for signs of attachment or regrets that fail to surface."
‑ Alison Willmore, AV Club
‑ Alan Diment, We Got This Covered
"A smoothly fractured history of a broken mother-son relationship, which even in its climactic tragedy keeps messy emotions at arm's length."
‑ Bill Weber, Slant Magazine
"Miller gets points for using a bit of narrative sketchiness to good effect..."
‑ Joe Dziemianowicz, New York Daily News
"Focuses, unsurprisingly, on family ties, although the kind you'll find here are more likely to choke than comfort."
‑ Sam Adams, Time Out New York
"A stirring French familial drama of simmering resentment, anchored by a searing performance from young Vincent Rottiers."
‑ Brent Simon, Shockya.com
"[Claude] Miller is a master of oh-my-God moments that at first seem to come out of nowhere but have been carefully calibrated ..., and here there are plenty."
‑ Kent Turner, Film-Forward.com