I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!
Keenen Ivory Wayans wrote, directed, and starred in this hilarious parody of blaxploitation films in the comedy I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Jack Spade (Wayans) returns home from a hitch in the army to find his brother Junebug has died from an overdose of gold chains, leaving his widow Cheryl (Dawnn Lewis) and mother Ma Bell (Ja'net DuBois) alone to fend for themselves. Ma throws two inept thugs (Damon Wayans and Kadeem Hardison) sent by the evil white guy Mr. Big (John Vernon) down a flight of stairs. Junebug owes $5,000 to Mr. Big for his gold-chain addiction and tries to force Cheryl… More

"In many respects this is a black counterpart to The Naked Gun, and very nearly as funny; the bounty of antimacho gags is both unexpected and refreshing."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Although, like all good satires, it is cheerfully willing to be offensive, it is almost completely incapable of being funny."
"Keenan Ivory Wayans offers his fan base probably the only funny film he's ever directed."
"You'll need to visit a doctor after it....to put back together your split-sides!"
‑ Clint Morris, Moviehole
"Probably an hour's worth of funny in a 90-minute movie."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"The greatest pleasure comes from seeing '70s veterans send themselves up."
‑ Wally Hammond, Time Out
"It's not that Wayans lacks wit, it's that he's stomped it to death."
‑ Rita Kempley, Washington Post
"Unrelenting, unremitting, a brilliant broad-brush of a parody."
‑ Lesli Goff, Empire Magazine
"Keenen Ivory Wayans' best film ever."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures
"The idea is swamped by the execution."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka is a lively but uncertain mixture of nostalgia, silliness and genuinely unpredictable humor."
‑ Janet Maslin, New York Times
"Wayans' choosing to play romantic lead seems more narcissistic than smartly comic (watch him unleash those built biceps once too often); he lacks an unidentifiable shtick."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"In offering up this affectionate parody of the old movies, Wayans also turns a satiric eye on black culture in general -- but in an inoffensive, lighthearted manner."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"There's something ungrateful going on under the surface"
‑ Bill Chambers, Film Freak Central
"Since we are dealing with parody here, every aspect of black communities is open territory for Wayans' brand of humour."
‑ Ed Gonzalez, Apollo Guide