I'm Not There
Director Todd Haynes' unconventional biopic of the legendary singer/songwriter Bob Dylan features different actors playing the part of the Minnesota native at various stages of his remarkable career. Among the actors playing the singer are Cate Blanchett, who portrays the man during his Don't Look Back era incarnation; Heath Ledger, as an actor playing one of the fictional Dylans in a movie within the movie; Christian Bale, as the Dylan beginning to chafe at being associated so strongly with political causes; Richard Gere, portraying the post-motorcycle accident period; and Marcus Carl… More

"There are those who will applaud what Haynes and his actors have accomplished, and I can understand its appeal on an intellectual level. But I am not a supporter of film without form or art without structure."
‑ James Berardinelli, ReelViews
"To enjoy I'm Not There you should be just a little bit Dylan-crazy, fascinated by his talent, ornery personality and enduring cultural influence."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"I'm Not There is a very special kind of life and times. It leaves ordinary musical biopics like Ray and Walk the Line and Beyond the Sea in the dust."
‑ Kelly Vance, East Bay Express
"I'm Not There is coy and fatuous, but it also can be intriguing and thought-provoking. But I'm Not There makes us consider Dylan with new eyes."
‑ Tony Macklin, Fayetteville Free Weekly
"The director's disappointment in Dylan's downward metamorphosis from outlaw poet, prophet and political idealist to cynic, egotist, wasted stoner, Jesus freak and recluse, is palpable, with a symbolic dirge for a body that has outlived its art."
‑ Prairie Miller, NewsBlaze
"Only devout Dylan fans will be able to derive much sense out of it. Dylan novices can only sit back and surrender to the ride Haynes offers: It's a strange, surreal trip."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"I think it's really interesting stuff and I enjoyed every aspect of it."
‑ Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper
"Haynes' film has no straight lines, it is all collage and pastiche and an endless series of intersections that all, quite improbably, lead to a startlingly accurate (if abstracted) vision of the many faces of Dylan."
‑ Ian Buckwalter, DCist
"Abstract expressionism, paying tribute to its hero in a fashion every bit as enigmatic and chameleon-like as the man himself. Is it a faux-documentary? Is it a biographical drama? At times, it is both. In the end, we are left with an ambitious misfire."
‑ Rossiter Drake, San Francisco Examiner
"Haynes is brilliant at tearing off the top of his own head and giving audiences a peek into his pop obsessions."
‑ Alonso Duralde, MSNBC
"How does it feeeel? Like a rolling shambles, much of it, and even a second viewing doesn't erase the sensation."
‑ Peter Howell, Toronto Star
"It doesn't all work and it runs too long. But every fragment of Dylan's life, every version of him, from the funny to the tippy, rings true."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Where is the defiant, sensuous expansiveness of Dylan's songs?"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"Full of Dylanology, Dylanography and Dylanerbole... if that's your thing"
‑ Marty Mapes, Movie Habit
"Not particularly entertaining or enlightening, but it is slow-moving and long."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope