I'm Still Here
Oscar-nominated Walk the Line star Joaquin Phoenix announces that he's retiring from acting to launch a hip-hop career as his brother-in-law Casey Affleck captures the curious transition on camera in the film some are labeling an elaborate Andy Kaufman-style prank. In the fall of 2008, Phoenix shocked his fans with the announcement that he would no longer be appearing in features, but instead trying his hand in the music business. In the wake of a particularly bizarre appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman, everyone began to wonder if the eccentric actor had finally fallen off… More

"No doubt what we witness is a performance for the camera, but with what motivation? Or is the hoax a hoax?"
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"If we're truly witnessing the unraveling of a talented man in his prime, it's just sad. If it's all performance art, though, it's just pointless."
‑ Christy Lemire, Associated Press
"I'm Still Here is incredibly self indulgent and pointless. As a piece it is not funny, and simply put, it's just painful to watch and offers very little."
‑ Will Chadwick, We Got This Covered
"Is I'm Still Here an art film? Post-verité? Social satire? A big "**** you" to Hollywood? Disturbing? Hard to sit through? Oh yeah."
‑ Matt Kelemen, Las Vegas CityLife
"This movie has to be seen to be simultaneously believed and disbelieved."
‑ Matt Singer, IFC.com
"I'm not sure I believed a word of this film. Actors who melt down on camera are usually, well, acting. But I couldn't take my eyes off I'm Still Here."
‑ Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
"Joaquin is simply adding to the ugliness, encouraging the fools, and wasting everyone's time."
‑ Laremy Legel, Film.com
"Joaquin gets the last laugh on us all. But the movie's a mess."
‑ Roger Moore, Movie Nation
"[A] disaster, a bratty, self-indulgent demand to be paid attention to, complete with the expectation that it will be paid attention to, because celebrity simply really is that irresistible no matter what it's doing..."
‑ MaryAnn Johanson, Flick Filosopher
"By the end of the film, I was hoping it was a fake. If real, it would reveal a famous person who should not be celebrated."
‑ Robert Roten, Laramie Movie Scope
"Chances are the joke is on us. The problem is the joke isn't very funny. In fact, it's kind of vile."
‑ Tom Long, Detroit News
"The movie is as damnably perplexing as the subject himself."
‑ Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post
"As a defeated Phoenix cleanses himself in the waters of Panama at the movie's climax, ultimately you're left asking the same question you were wondering when you went in: why should I care?"
‑ Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
"If what's happening in the film is honest and real, it's more spectacle than introspection. If it's all fake, only the filmmakers are laughing."
‑ Kevin A. Ranson, MovieCrypt.com
"An ugly and disturbing deconstruction of self-destruction and emptiness."
‑ R. L. Shaffer, IGN DVD