In a Glass Cage (Tras el cristal)
Stylistically compelling, morally ambiguous, and profoundly unsettling, this Spanish psychodrama from writer-director Agustin Villaronga stands beside Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salo as one of cinema's most unflinching depictions of human depravity. The story opens in post-WWII Catalonia as former Nazi death camp "doctor" Klaus (Gunter Meisner) consummates his torture-murder of a young man by hurling himself from the roof of his house; this act, motivated either by a sudden attack of conscience or by some form of sexual mania, leaves him paralyzed from the neck down and unable to… More

"As creepy as they come, leaving a lingering chill that only time can warm"
‑ Sam Adams, Los Angeles Times
"Call it a critical prejudice, but I say slap an outboard motor on that baby and you've got yourself a movie."
‑ Hal Hinson, Washington Post
"Villaronga's unsettling lyrical nightmare hasn't aged a bit; it stays in the mind long after more bloodthirsty recent horror flicks have faded away."
‑ Elliott Stein, Village Voice
"Not all movies need to be warm portraits of the best in humanity. But when the subject is the psychological dark side in man (or woman), there ought to be something insightful to mull over."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"May not be for everyone, but it is certainly disturbing, powerful, and accomplished in what it sets out to do."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"It's actually worse that Villaronga is such a terrific filmmaker, as he's able to hold our throats that much tighter, not allowing us to even sip from our inner iron lungs."
‑ Adam Lippe, Examiner.com