In Our Nature
In Our Nature
When Brooklynite Seth (Zach Gilford) takes his girlfriend Andie (Jena Malone) to his family's weekend house in upstate New York for a romantic getaway, they are unexpectedly joined by his estranged father Gil (John Slattery), and his much-younger new girlfriend, Vicky (Gabrielle Union). The women carefully negotiate emotional minefields as they persuade father and son to share the house for the first time since the summer vacations of Seth's childhood. This unexpected family reunion in the great outdoors, fraught with tensions old and new, pushes them all to realize the bonds of family… More

"horrible"
‑ Jordan Hoffman, Film.com
"This could be renamed "Mope-Faced Kingdom.""
‑ Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News
"It's like an average weekend: nice enough, but tepid."
‑ Leah Churner, Austin Chronicle
"In Our Nature's visual style seems plastered on or allocated, not developed with any sort of authorial singularity."
‑ Diego Costa, Slant Magazine
"Yes, the pacing of In Our Nature is slow, and drags near the film's halfway point, but the top-notch ensemble propels the film forward, adding complexity to the characters while leaving the over-the-top melodrama for Lifetime."
‑ Christine N. Ziemba, Paste Magazine
"Plays distressingly like a photographed off-Broadway drama."
‑ Lou Lumenick, New York Post
"Beautifully observed characterizations and fine performances enliven this sometimes static drama about an unexpected family reunion."
‑ Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter
"The characters in this family drama are not given enough backstory or nuance to make their problems feel real, and none of the characters warrants much interest or compassion."
‑ Matthew Odam, Austin American-Statesman
"Brian Savelson generally eschews emotional fireworks to create this small and intimate study of how difficult it is to repair broken relationships while trying to preserve those that look promising."
‑ Shirley Sealy, Film Journal International
"Like Carnage it gets off to a rocky start in keeping all its protagonists from leaving the movie. But if you can make it past that - and John Slattery helps a bunch - Brian Savelson's film settles into a nicely mature story about airing grievances."
‑ Erik Childress, eFilmCritic.com
"The confessions and conflicts that bubble up feel real and lived, if overly familiar to connoisseurs of that dreaded genre known as the dysfunctional-family drama."
‑ Stephen Holden, New York Times
"In Our Nature lumbers a lot, especially early on, as Savelson introduces the cast and has Gilford and Slattery keep coming up with weak excuses to stall the movie's premise from kicking in."
‑ Noel Murray, AV Club
"The movie earns high grades for allowing four strong actors to work their way through some basic but interesting obstacles that must of us can relate to in one way or another."
‑ Scott Weinberg, Twitch
"A drama filled with the same kind of emotional fireworks that animate the gripping familial interactions in works by Arthur Miller and Eugene O'Neill."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
""In Our Nature" is as prophetic as it is provocative, exploring dysfunction, in a recognizable but no less satisfying way."
‑ Todd Gilchrist, The Playlist