In Prison My Whole Life
Since his incarceration in 1982 for allegedly shooting a Philadelphia policeman to death, Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal has awaited execution on Death Row, vociferously protesting his innocence; he now qualifies as one of the most famous Death Row inmates in the world. Currently an author of five tomes and an on-air personality who broadcasts over the phone from prison, Abu-Jamal carries the support of no less than Nelson Mandela and the administrators of Amnesty International, who believe in and fervently argue his innocence. Filmmaker Marc Evans's documentary In Prison My Whole Life… More

"This subjective approach subsumes the film's powerful subject, making 'In Prison My Whole Life' just another self absorbed agit-prop documentary."
‑ Tom Huddlestone, Time Out
"Essentially a Trojan-horse documentary that purports to deal with the crime, it is actually a discussion on race, politics and the American psyche."
‑ Kevin Maher, Times [UK]
"It's something you need to see if you don't know anything about Mumia or if, somehow, you missed the notion that bigotry is rampant on the police force."
‑ Jessica Baxter, Film Threat
"The legitimate case for death-row inmate Mumia Abu-Jamal's retrial gets another airing in British helmer Marc Evans' unfocused, oddly naive In Prison My Whole Life."
‑ Jay Weissberg, Variety
"A well-meaning but unfocused documentary."
‑ Andrew Pulver, Guardian
"Despite the complex subject matter the film retains a hopeful tone."
‑ Caroline Henshaw, Boxoffice Magazine
"A worthy film, highlighting what seems to be a rank injustice, but one that is irritating and poorly put together."
‑ Sam Jordison, Film4
"While some of the testimony, from the likes of Steve Earle and Mos Def is powerful, many of the parallels Francome and Evans attempt to draw feel slightly spurious and their conclusions lack sufficient back up."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film