InRealLife
This film asks what exactly is the internet and what is it doing to our children? Taking us on a journey from the bedrooms of British teenagers to the world of Silicon Valley, filmmaker Beeban Kidron suggests that rather than the promise of free and open connectivity, young people are increasingly ensnared in a commercial world. Beguiling and glittering on the outside, it can be alienating and addictive. Quietly building its case, this documentary asks if we can afford to stand by while our children, trapped in their 24/7 connectivity, are being outsourced to the net?

"Though the subject merits serious attention, the tone feels unduly alarmist, echoing panics of previous decades about things such as comic books and rap lyrics."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"It's an interesting choice of subject matter, let down by an overuse of archetypal scenarios that outweigh moments of relevance."
‑ Jamie Brotherton, The List
"Imagine a documentary on this awful internet thing made by your mum - presuming your mum is something other than cool - and you will have an idea what to expect from Beeban Kidron's woeful whinge."
‑ Donald Clarke, Irish Times
"It's a watchable film, though it tends a little too far to the moral-panic way of thinking ..."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"Given that we're not even sure of the effects that always being connected have on the world, it feels somewhere between premature and panic-y to make the children the primary cause of our hand-wringing."
‑ David Berry, National Post
"It's unsettling viewing, and smartly sidesteps allegations of parental paranoia by talking directly to those "digital natives" whose lives are being transformed (for better and worse) by the web."
‑ Mark Kermode, Observer [UK]
"A dense and serious-minded study. The results feel like an intermittently fascinating springboard for something lengthier."
‑ Kim Newman, Empire Magazine
"Film-maker/documentarist Beeban Kidron explores the IT age in InRealLife, surfing widely and provocatively."
‑ Nigel Andrews, Financial Times
"...a relentless information dump that's rarely able to live up to the promise of its initial setup."
‑ David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews
"Arguably the most important documentary about our rapidly-changing lifestyles since Super Size Me ( ... ) food for thought for parents and media students alike."
‑ Graham Young, Birmingham Mail
"Everyone has their drug of choice. All we can do, suggests the canny Kidron, is be aware of who's supplying that drug and monitor the quantity, and quality, of what we consume."
‑ Charlotte O'Sullivan, This is London
"The ideas linger long after the credits roll and you check your smartphone."
‑ D'Arcy Doran, Little White Lies