Inventing Our Life: The Kibbutz Experiment
Inventing Our Life: The Kibbutz Experiment
Set against the backdrop of its glorious 100-year history, Inventing Our Life: The Kibbutz Experiment reveals the heartbreak and hope of Israel's modern kibbutz movement as a new generation struggles to ensure its survival. Can a radically socialist institution survive a new capitalist reality? How will painful reforms affect those who still believe in the kibbutz experiment, and continue to call it home? -- (C) First Run
Directed By
© First Run Features

Buy SD $9.99 Rent SD $3.99
- -

"It all makes for an enlightening and evocative snapshot."
‑ Gary Goldstein, Los Angeles Times
"Toby Perl Freilich's thought-provoking docu Inventing Our Life sketches the history of the radically socialist, more-than-100-year-old kibbutz movement."
‑ Alissa Simon, Variety
"An unimaginative but sturdy account of the Israeli kibbutz movement."
‑ Ethan Alter, Film Journal International
"A valuable history lesson about an idealistic blueprint for nirvana ultimately frustrated by something as simple as basic human nature."
‑ Kam Williams, AALBC.com
"Freilich includes interviews with three generations of kibbutzniks and some fascinating historical footage going back to the 1920s."
‑ Peter Rainer, Christian Science Monitor
""Inventing Our Life" is a fascinating introduction to a movement scrambling to adjust enough to guarantee a future, without severing all ties to its principled past."
‑ Daniel M. Gold, New York Times
"An ethically rich and bold documentary on the 100 year old kibbutz movement in Israel."
‑ Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
"An evenly balanced doc about Israel's noble, socialist experiment: the kibbutz"
‑ Harvey S. Karten, Compuserve
"Inventing Our Life hosts a conversation about a utopian dream as it encounters the realities of social change and human limitation."
‑ Ella Taylor, NPR
"Despite a few minor objections raised by some kibbutzniks, the film takes for granted the near unimpeachability of the original communities, giving only token mention of issues like gender inequality."
‑ Andrew Schenker, Village Voice
"While very informative, it doesn't work as an introduction to kibbutzim because it requires the viewer to have some prior knowledge of the history of Israel."
‑ Kalvin Henely, Slant Magazine