Irreconcilable Differences
Irreconcilable Differences
In this human-scale drama/comedy, a pair of Beverly Hills parents, Albert (Ryan O'Neal) and Lucy (Shelley Long) first come together as a couple interested in writing (she) and teaching (he), but Albert's life takes an upscale turn when he starts both writing and then directing in Hollywood. As he becomes successful, Lucy is forced to burrow into her own writing in self-defense, and after her book is well-received, she is compensated a little for Albert's lack of attention and philandering. After Hollywood and its well-known flaws are sketched out in the increasingly strained… More

"Writer-director Charles Shyer and writer Nancy Meyers fill their movie with fresh dialogue and Hollywood-insider tidbits, and the roles couldn't be more aptly cast."
‑ Matt Brunson, Creative Loafing
"We like these people even as they sink further and further into a black hole, and we root for their sensible, level-headed, uncommonly mature daughter to set them straight."
‑ Jason McKiernan, Filmcritic.com
"There is a marvelous balance in that we have an equal rooting interest in each of the main characters. It isn't a mere satire."
‑ Kyle Smith, KyleSmithOnline.com
"Buscando as lágrimas ou o riso do espectador de forma maniqueísta, o filme chega a se confundir, tentando fazer graça com o sofrimento de uma criança."
‑ Pablo Villaca, Cinema em Cena
"I had much more sympathy for the child in the film and, sadly, she takes a back seat."
‑ Kevin Carr, 7M Pictures