Jag är nyfiken - en film i gult (I Am Curious (Yellow))
Jag är nyfiken - en film i gult (I Am Curious (Yellow))
One of the most popular and controversial films in Swedish history, I Am Curious brought the sexual revolution to Sweden's silver screen. While much of the media hype centered on the film's scandalous content, the film's blending of documentary and fictional footage was equally shocking for Swedish audiences. Content-wise, the film's more controversial parts include the defacement of a photograph of Franco and a sequence where a young couple has sex in front of the royal palace. A film in two parts, Yellow and Blue each have essentially the same vague outline of a plot. Lena… More

"Today we can get our sex with less punishment, which is progress of a sort."
‑ Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader
"The movie is simply, basically, boring. It is stupid and slow and uninteresting."
"As much a bore as its predecessor, the "Yellow" movie."
‑ Steve Crum, Video-Reviewmaster.com
"I suspect that I am Curious (Yellow) will remain largely, well, a curiosity."
‑ Dan Jardine, Apollo Guide
"As a time capsule piece, it's fascinating, yet as a stand-alone film, it's only intermittently interesting."
‑ Matt Brunson, Creative Loafing
"I'm not very fond of this sort of moviemaking, which tries to disarm conventional criticism by exploiting formlessness as meaningful itself, but I like Sjoman's sense of humor and sense of humanity, and his obvious affection for Lena."
‑ Vincent Canby, New York Times
"It is an intellectually stimulating work with a smart, comical atmosphere, and it sustains its appeal through the perky modern attitude exhibited by Nyman, even when she has her clothing on."
‑ Douglas Pratt, Hollywood Reporter
"Droll and creaky."
‑ James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk
"At once humorously annoying, politically dynamic, and clever the film is a reasonably enjoyable two hours."
‑ Matt Langdon, Filmcritic.com
"I Am Curious--Yellow is entertaining for its novelty, and exhaustive in its political intent. Its notorious reputation (attributed only to its frank sexuality), however, is misleading."
‑ Rumsey Taylor, Not Coming to a Theater Near You
"The mix of frivolousness and moral reproach, though, seems altogether '60s, rather than particularly Swedish."
‑ , Time Out
"A bemused society at a crossroads, a medium in frisky disarray"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"What was once considered audacious and experimental now seems rather quaint and artistically pretentious."
‑ , TV Guide's Movie Guide
"Rarely very stimulating to watch, but significant in the evolution of audiences', critics' and censors' attitudes to film."
‑ Jon Fortgang, Film4
"the Criterion Collection breathes life into its creaky celluloid with the definitive preservation and a cornucopia of historical background material"
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews