Junebug
A dealer in outsider art threatens the equilibrium of her middle-class in-laws in North Carolina. Madeline is a go-getting art gallery owner from Chicago, recently married to George, a near-perfect Southern beau. When Madeline needs to close a deal with a reclusive North Carolina artist, George introduces her to his family: prickly mother Peg, taciturn father Eugene, cranky brother Johnny, and Johnny's pregnant, childlike wife Ashley, who is awe-struck by her glamorous sister-in-law. Madeline's presence exposes the fragile family dynamics as hidden resentments and anxieties surface.

"...one of many reasons to love Junebug is how often it offers us spaces to fill in ourselves, the faith it shows in handing us small puzzles -- Eugene's hand-carved bird, for instance -- to chuckle over or think on afterward."
‑ Mark Bourne, Film.com
"The adult tensions and the tone take us to a place remembered so vividly that even if we don't know this corner of the South, we've somehow lived there or at least passed through."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"At every moment when "Junebug" could choose dramatic cliché, even with Ashley's pregnancy, it's beautifully subtle. A poetic, graceful tale about the comforts and oddities of returning home to family."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Amy Adams is simply magical, guileless and throbbing, sunniness fraught with desperation"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"To get a good idea of what to expect, think Hee Haw presented as a Shakespearean melodrama."
‑ Kam Williams, Upstage Magazine
"A quiet journey into the heartland, and the heart."
‑ Susan Walker, Toronto Star
"Brimming with bright dialogue, complex characters and moments of sheer aching sweetness, it's Chekhov with a side of red-eye gravy."
‑ Eleanor Ringel Gillespie, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"The humor here is expectedly quirky but it feels earned thanks to writer MacLachlan and director Morrison's honestly rendered observations of family and small-town life"
‑ Jay Antani, Cinema Writer
"A wonderful bittersweet dramedy that deserves to be seen."
"Not since...My Cousin Vinny has there been a more charming class-clash comedy-drama than Junebug."
‑ Harry Haun, Film Journal International
"Thanks to Adams' performance and strong story, it makes for a mildly entertaining Southern-fried experience."
‑ Kathy Cano Murillo, Arizona Republic
"Morrison and MacLachlan mine the clash of cultures for comedy, but there's an undertow of sadness to their film - and Adams's touching performance as George's naïve but well-meaning, heavily pregnant sister-in-law captures this perfectly"
‑ Jason Best, Movie Talk
"Junebug annoyed me while in the theater, and annoys me even more as I write about it."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, Film and Felt
"From dinner-table silences, to nuances of Baptist vocabulary, to 'colorful' displays of Southern imagination, these people are three-dimensional and compelling."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"click to read review [Greek]"
‑ Joseph Proimakis, Movies for the Masses