Junebug
Phil Morrison, who collaborated with screenwriter Angus MacLachlan for his acclaimed 1990 short, Tater Tomater, joins forces with MacLachlan again for his feature-film debut, Junebug. Junebug takes place in rural North Carolina. Madeleine (Embeth Davidtz), a sophisticated Chicagoan who owns a gallery devoted to "outsider art," goes south in an effort to woo an eccentric painter (Frank Hoyt Taylor) to her gallery. She brings along her husband, George (Alessandro Nivola), a native of the area, and the couple stays with his family. Peg (Celia Weston), George's mother, gives… More

"...one of many reasons to love Junebug is how often it offers us spaces to fill in ourselves, the faith it shows in handing us small puzzles -- Eugene's hand-carved bird, for instance -- to chuckle over or think on afterward."
‑ Mark Bourne, Film.com
"The adult tensions and the tone take us to a place remembered so vividly that even if we don't know this corner of the South, we've somehow lived there or at least passed through."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Morrison and MacLachlan mine the clash of cultures for comedy, but there's an undertow of sadness to their film - and Adams's touching performance as George's naïve but well-meaning, heavily pregnant sister-in-law captures this perfectly"
‑ Jason Best, Movie Talk
"Junebug annoyed me while in the theater, and annoys me even more as I write about it."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, Film and Felt
"From dinner-table silences, to nuances of Baptist vocabulary, to 'colorful' displays of Southern imagination, these people are three-dimensional and compelling."
‑ Jeffrey Overstreet, Looking Closer
"A quiet journey into the heartland, and the heart."
‑ Susan Walker, Toronto Star
"Brimming with bright dialogue, complex characters and moments of sheer aching sweetness, it's Chekhov with a side of red-eye gravy."
‑ Eleanor Ringel Gillespie, Atlanta Journal-Constitution
"At every moment when "Junebug" could choose dramatic cliché, even with Ashley's pregnancy, it's beautifully subtle. A poetic, graceful tale about the comforts and oddities of returning home to family."
‑ Nick Rogers, Suite101.com
"Amy Adams is simply magical, guileless and throbbing, sunniness fraught with desperation"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"To get a good idea of what to expect, think Hee Haw presented as a Shakespearean melodrama."
‑ Kam Williams, Upstage Magazine
"Thanks to Adams' performance and strong story, it makes for a mildly entertaining Southern-fried experience."
‑ Kathy Cano Murillo, Arizona Republic
"This brilliantly detailed, richly painted portrait lingers long in the memory."
‑ Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer
"The humor here is expectedly quirky but it feels earned thanks to writer MacLachlan and director Morrison's honestly rendered observations of family and small-town life"
‑ Jay Antani, Cinema Writer
"A wonderful bittersweet dramedy that deserves to be seen."
"Not since...My Cousin Vinny has there been a more charming class-clash comedy-drama than Junebug."
‑ Harry Haun, Film Journal International