Keane
American independent filmmaker Lodge Kerrigan returned after a six-year hiatus with this formally challenging tale of a disheveled man desperately searching New York City for his young daughter. Keane takes its name from its central character, a middle-aged man (Damien Lewis) who wanders Port Authority with a seemingly tenuous grasp of his sanity, muttering to himself and causing altercations with passers-by. He claims to have lost his daughter at a bus station, and consistently pleads for assistance from indifferent authority figures. When he's not roaming the streets, he uses his meager… More

"Unshakably harrowing but deeply moving."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"When it comes to an emotional payoff at the end, unlike most Hollywood films, it has earned it."
‑ Richard Nilsen, Arizona Republic
"[Lewis] immerses himself so deeply in Keane's psyche and skin that you easily forget this is acting, not real life."
‑ Bruce Kirkland, Jam! Movies
"The role of Keane is a tall order, as he's onscreen for every frame of the film, but Lewis is just brilliant, holding our attention and ultimately our compassion for a deeply troubled man."
‑ Rob Thomas, Capital Times (Madison, WI)
"The entire second half of the film...is unbearably tense....Lewis, whose performance is the overwhelming center of the piece, deserves a large share of the credit for making the entire thing so grueling."
‑ Andy Klein, Los Angeles CityBeat
"The film achieves a dramatic intensity that is both admirable and frustrating."
‑ Kate Taylor, Globe and Mail
"The next time you see someone railing in the streets -- fighting a battle you'll never understand -- you may remember Keane and pause to reflect."
‑ Robert Denerstein, Denver Rocky Mountain News
"Aside from Lewis's excellent acting, there's little reason to spend two hours with Keane."
‑ Staci Layne Wilson, Buzzine Magazine
"Affliction has rarely been so sensitively explored."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"Lodge Kerrigan is one of the great, though largely unheralded, filmmakers of our time."
‑ Marjorie Baumgarten, Austin Chronicle
"Lewis makes Keane's paranoia our paranoia. Kerrigan limits our world to his world. And that's how this grimly shot, roughly felt drama pulls us in."
‑ Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel
"Only Kerrigan's previous Clean, Shaven surpasses Keane as a sympathetic study of a man unravelled."
‑ Anton Bitel, musicOMH.com
"A small wonder of a minimalist morality tale."
‑ Steve Schneider, Orlando Weekly
"A psycho-underworld tour de force like Irreversible or The Machinist, impressive as far as it goes (not far), single-minded but without enough on its mind, a gimmick flick."
‑ Tim Appelo, Seattle Weekly
"It's in that breathtaking humanism, its illustration of the way we connect to one another, and how brittle that social fabric can be, that the film touches on sublimity."
‑ Walter Chaw, Film Freak Central