Khane-ye doust kodjast? (Where is the Friend's Home?)
Khane-ye doust kodjast? (Where is the Friend's Home?)
The film that established director Abbas Kiarostami's reputation outside his native Iran, Where Is the Friend's Home? tells a simple story in such a spare fashion, many critics found its impact to be almost subliminal. As the film opens Ahmed (Ahmed Ahmed Poor), a grade schooler, watches as his teacher (Kheda Barech Defai) berates a fellow student, Mohammed (Babek Ahmed Poor), for repeatedly failing to use his notebook for his homework , threatening expulsion on the next offense. When Ahmed returns home, he realizes he's accidentally taken Mohammed's notebook. Against his… More

"On one level Kiarostami paints a society rooted in authoritarian demands, but on another he reminds how us kids get lost in the grown-up world of business and responsibility."
‑ Sean Axmaker, Parallax View
"The closest thing I've ever seen to an Iranian action film."
‑ Jon Popick, Planet Sick-Boy
"Kiarostami's relentless pursuit is poetically evocative."
"Or: How the whole world can fit into an Our Gang episode"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"It's only because so many directors have done more with a similar set-up that Where is the Friend's Home? feels somewhat lacking."
‑ Jeremy Heilman, MovieMartyr.com
"I highly recommend all of Abbas Kiarostami's films, but to start with I'd suggest Where Is the Friend's Home, the simplest and most moving of his films."
‑ Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid
"Even though very little takes place, the eighty-three minutes seem to fly by in real time."
‑ John A. Nesbit, Old School Reviews