Kingdom of Heaven
Ridley Scott directed this epic-scale historical drama inspired by the events of the Crusades of the 12th century. Balian (Orlando Bloom) is a humble French blacksmith who is searching for a reason to go on after the death of his wife and children. Balian is approached by Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson), a fabled knight who has briefly returned home after serving in the East. Godfrey informs Balian that he is his true father, and urges the blacksmith to join him as he and his forces journey to Jerusalem to help defend the holy city. Balian accepts, and he and Godfrey arrive during the lull… More

"As Balian and his people withstand the might of Saladin's fiery projectiles, siege towers and the usual computer-generated swarm of soldiers, it's hard not to think we're really watching The Lord of the Rings IV: Legolas Defends Jerusalem."
‑ Desson Thomson, Washington Post
"Considerably more ambitious and significantly less satisfying than Gladiator."
‑ Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star
"Cinema's least potent leading man, Orlando Bloom, stinks up the screen in Ridley Scott's unsatisfying "epic" about the Crusades..."
‑ Cole Smithey, ColeSmithey.com
"... an extraordinary work of art, a plea for religious tolerance that works because of sheer filmmaking prowess and good, old-fashioned storytelling. (Director's Cut)"
‑ Felix Gonzalez Jr., DVD Review
"Kingdom inevitably invites comparisons to Gladiator, Scott's last major epic. But it is a better film, partly because it does less violence to the history."
‑ Peter T. Chattaway, Christianity Today
"Is Orlando Bloom enough of a star to sustain a $100 million costume drama? The answer turns out to be yes."
‑ Stephen Hunter, Washington Post
"An epic about Christian crusaders who happen to be liberal humanists willing to die for the sake of religious tolerance. That's just ... weird."
‑ David Edelstein, Slate
"Just another sword and sandal epic..."
"One of the more violent films in recent memory. But maybe the violence serves a purpose-it keeps your mind off the inanities of the plot."
‑ Lewis Beale, Film Journal International
"Kingdom of Heaven has little going for it outside of its lavish and gory battle sequences."
‑ Forrest Hartman, Reno Gazette-Journal
"Since we barely know what's at stake -- we're too confused and bored to care -- all this fighting means nothing to us, and yet Scott still hopes to rev us up with it."
‑ Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com
"Mostly uninvolving; a movie you admire for its craft rather than enjoying for its passion."
‑ Tom Keogh, Seattle Times
"Kingdom of Heaven is profoundly relevant for our troubled times."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"quick review in Greek"
‑ Joseph Proimakis, Movies for the Masses
"...the movie survives its lackluster star and cluttered plot, thanks largely to director Ridley Scott, who makes most of the goings-on fun while we're sitting through them."
‑ John J. Puccio, Movie Metropolis