Kumo no muk˘, yakusoku no basho (The Place Promised in Our Early Days)
Kumo no muk˘, yakusoku no basho (The Place Promised in Our Early Days)
The anime feature The Place Promised in Our Early Days (AKA Kumo No Muko, Yakusoku No Bashu) opens with an alternate ending to World War II, when the islands of Japan are divided into northern and southern territories, and the island of Hokkaido - Japan's second largest prefecture, at the nexus of the Sea of Japan, the Sea of Okhotsk and the Pacific Ocean - is annexed. Around the turn of the millennium, an enigmatic tower is constructed on Hokkaido, and though its purpose is inscrutable to the locals, it causes the tension between the northern and southern territories to double in… More

"By any standard it's impressive anime; as a feature debut it's a remarkable achievement."
‑ Jeff Shannon, Seattle Times
"Shinkai Makoto, who made the 30-minute 'Voices of a Distant Star' by himself on a laptop computer, has written and directed an anime that favors human emotions over robot battles."
‑ Bill White, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
"I suspect that in 20 years, film buffs worldwide will be pointing to The Place Promised in Our Early Days as the introductory work from one of cinema's first-rate directors."
‑ Gabe Leibowitz, Film and Felt
"Eschews the standard deathdroids and fuzzy critters for a more grounded, hard SF approach. Shinkai's debut ... falls prey to a frustrating feedback loop of a plot."
‑ Andrew Wright, The Stranger (Seattle, WA)
"Superior anime offering."