La Stanza del Figlio (The Son's Room)
La Stanza del Figlio (The Son's Room)
A family struggles to go on after a devastating loss in this deeply emotional drama from Italy. Giovanni (Nanni Moretti) is a psychiatrist with a successful practice in a small community near the ocean. Giovanni has a warm relationship with his wife Paola (Laura Morante), and they have a pair of well-adjusted teenage kids, Andrea (Giuseppe Sanfelice) and Irene (Jasmine Trinca). But the family's calm is shattered when Andrea is unexpectedly killed in an accident. Giovanni finds it impossible to continue with his work, and blames himself for the death, since he was planning to go jogging… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"With tender skill, [director] Moretti illuminates Samuel Beckett's familiar summation 'I can't go on--I'll go on.'"
‑ , Chicago Reader
"Often called Italy's answer to Woody Allen, Nanni Moretti takes a turn for the serious in The Son's Room and acquits himself in first-rate fashion."
‑ Susan Stark, Detroit News
"Moretti's comedies and sarires are more interesting than this family melodrama about loss and grief, though he should be commended for making a touching and sensitive film that never descends into cloying bathos."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"A thoughtful and haunting study of the ways a family copes with the unthinkable."
‑ Ben Slater, Film Threat
"The Son's Room refers to every room this family will inhabit for a long time -- he's an unseen, ubiquitous presence -- but they may learn to lead ordinary, even joyful lives again."
‑ Lawrence Toppman, Charlotte Observer
"Nothing in The Son's Room is conventionally sentimental or reassuring."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"We are given characters so gentle and so human that we become instantly fond of them."
‑ Eli Sanders, Seattle Times
"A work of powerful understatement, artfully crafted and subtly acted."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"The Son's Room is a sob story that is too pat for my taste."
"I certainly found its depiction of a family affected by grief far more believable and effective than the strident dish-breaking, breast-beating of In the Bedroom."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"The Son's Room addresses both death and life with honesty and respect."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"The Son's Room is ... not an interruption in [Moretti's] career, but a leap upward to a spiritual epiphany graced with visual elegance and energy."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"We're all guilty of worrying about things that are completely unimportant; this film is a wonderful reminder that we shouldn't."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"proves once again that some of the best films do not come from America."
‑ Danny Minton, KBTV-NBC (Beaumont, TX)
"Moretti plays Giovanni, a psychiatrist who predictably finds it difficult to sustain interest in his profession after the family tragedy. Too predictably, in fact."
‑ Kevin John Bozelka, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel