La Stanza del Figlio (The Son's Room)
La Stanza del Figlio (The Son's Room)
A family living together in a small Northern Italian city: the parents are Giovanni and Paola and their two teenage children are Irene and Andrea. Giovanni is a psychoanalyst and in his office patients confide to him a long list of their neuroses and worries, in contrast to the calm of his own existence. Giovanni's life is regulated by a familiar pattern of routines and interests: walking, reading, listening to music. One Sunday morning, Giovanni suggests that he and his son enjoy a run together, but he is urgently called away to see a patient. He cannot go running with his son, and Andrea… More

Subscription
Stream Now

"With tender skill, [director] Moretti illuminates Samuel Beckett's familiar summation 'I can't go on--I'll go on.'"
‑ , Chicago Reader
"Often called Italy's answer to Woody Allen, Nanni Moretti takes a turn for the serious in The Son's Room and acquits himself in first-rate fashion."
‑ Susan Stark, Detroit News
"Moretti's comedies and sarires are more interesting than this family melodrama about loss and grief, though he should be commended for making a touching and sensitive film that never descends into cloying bathos."
‑ Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com
"A thoughtful and haunting study of the ways a family copes with the unthinkable."
‑ Ben Slater, Film Threat
"The Son's Room refers to every room this family will inhabit for a long time -- he's an unseen, ubiquitous presence -- but they may learn to lead ordinary, even joyful lives again."
‑ Lawrence Toppman, Charlotte Observer
"Nothing in The Son's Room is conventionally sentimental or reassuring."
‑ Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune
"We are given characters so gentle and so human that we become instantly fond of them."
‑ Eli Sanders, Seattle Times
"A work of powerful understatement, artfully crafted and subtly acted."
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"The Son's Room is a sob story that is too pat for my taste."
"I certainly found its depiction of a family affected by grief far more believable and effective than the strident dish-breaking, breast-beating of In the Bedroom."
‑ Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)
"The Son's Room addresses both death and life with honesty and respect."
‑ Terry Lawson, Detroit Free Press
"The Son's Room is ... not an interruption in [Moretti's] career, but a leap upward to a spiritual epiphany graced with visual elegance and energy."
‑ Andrew Sarris, New York Observer
"We're all guilty of worrying about things that are completely unimportant; this film is a wonderful reminder that we shouldn't."
‑ Harry Guerin, RTE Interactive (Dublin, Ireland)
"proves once again that some of the best films do not come from America."
‑ Danny Minton, KBTV-NBC (Beaumont, TX)
"Moretti plays Giovanni, a psychiatrist who predictably finds it difficult to sustain interest in his profession after the family tragedy. Too predictably, in fact."
‑ Kevin John Bozelka, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel