Lady in the Water
A modest building manager named Cleveland Heep rescues a mysterious young woman from danger and discovers she is actually a narf, a character from a bedtime story who is trying to make the treacherous journey from our world back to hers. Cleveland and his fellow tenants start to realize that they are also characters in this bedtime story. As Cleveland falls deeper and deeper in love with the woman, he works together with the tenants to protect his new fragile friend from the deadly creatures that reside in this fable and are determined to prevent her from returning home.

"[Perhaps it's] improvised and protracted, nonsensically and unnecessarily, just for the sake of stringing us along. And, maybe, putting us to sleep."
‑ Roger Ebert, RogerEbert.com
"The story is so convoluted and ultimately preposterous that you're almost embarrassed by the earnestness of the actors trying to carry it off."
‑ Jack Mathews, New York Daily News
"Once again Shyamalan is a maddening storyteller, by turns inspired and insipid, and he still manages to conjure some odd, unnerving moments."
‑ Luke Goodsell, Empire Magazine Australasia
"... to put it bluntly, badly paced and completely trivial, not to mention utterly juvenile."
‑ Steve Biodrowski, ESplatter
"While I love where Night's head and heart are at, I think he tried to communicate them in a way that was clumsy, cumbersome, lacking in suspense and menace, and frankly, unexciting."
‑ Brandon Fibbs, BrandonFibbs.com
"What was [Shyamalan] thinking? This isn't just duff, it's career-threatening catastrophic."
‑ Trevor Johnston, Time Out
"In the end, Shyamalan's stumbling Lady never gives us a reason to believe."
‑ Amy Biancolli, Houston Chronicle
"Peevishly defensive, intransigently personal and serenely indifferent to critical (and audience) reaction"
‑ Fernando F. Croce, CinePassion
"This could have made a decent movie but the mythology comes so thick and fast that it mixes to a slurry as you watch."
‑ Amber Wilkinson, Eye for Film
"Ignore the critics on this movie. Yeah, I am one. Which means I'm telling you to ignore me, too."
‑ Rob Gonsalves, eFilmCritic.com
"despite the childlike nature of the story, Lady in the Water will prove too confusing for most kids, which is a shame, since they're also the ones most like to greet that giant-eagle business with something other than a derisive laugh."
‑ Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald
"Crazy as this might sound, it turns out that self-indulgent ramblings designed to put your children to sleep are pretty much the opposite of art."
‑ Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail
"While the film's performances are intriguing and the direction tight, Shyamalan's fairytale ends up being more interesting than the actual film."
"What is most annoying about "Lady" is that no one ever considers the possibility that nothing magical is actually occurring.The film starts out silly and just gets sillier."
‑ Brian Holcomb, Beyond Hollywood
"The film is a mess, a ramshackle affair. Its silliness cannot sustain itself."
‑ Jamie Gillies, Apollo Guide