Lawrence of Arabia
This sweeping, highly literate historical epic covers the Allies' mideastern campaign during World War I as seen through the eyes of the enigmatic T. E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole, in the role that made him a star). After a prologue showing us Lawrence's ultimate fate, we flash back to Cairo in 1917. A bored general staffer, Lawrence talks his way into a transfer to Arabia. Once in the desert, he befriends Sherif Ali Ben El Kharish (Omar Sharif, making one of the most spectacular entrances in movie history) and draws up plans to aid the Arabs in their rebellion against the Turks. No… More

"It is O'Toole who continually dominates the screen, and he dominates it with professional skill, Irish charm and smashing good looks."
‑ , TIME Magazine
"The passage of time has only proved how difficult it is to run ideas, history, characterisation and landscape in harness on this sort of scale."
‑ Geoff Andrew, Time Out
"This is movie-making on the grandest scale."
‑ Adrian Turner, Radio Times
"Of all miracles readily apparent on screen, perhaps the greatest is that the film even got made in the first place."
‑ Matthew Thrift, Little White Lies
"To appreciate the film fully, Lawrence must be seen in a cinema, in 70mm on the widescreen and in stereophonic sound, and the present theatrical revival is not to be missed."
‑ Philip French, Observer [UK]
"It was a big bold project and has turned out a big bold film."
‑ Variety Staff, Variety
"Approach it from whatever angle you like, performances, script, cinematography, score; David Lean's sweeping biography of T.E. Lawrence is unarguably magnificent."
‑ Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
"Despite the film's technical wizardry, the seven Academy Awards and the expansive budget, this time-honored epic is ultimately a testament to something elemental: the ability to make an audience gasp as a story is told."
‑ , People Magazine
"How did David Lean and star Peter O'Toole achieve such perfection? If we could define and distil it, we wouldn't need a special category for those flicks we call 'classics.' Lawrence of Arabia is that, and then some."
‑ Simon Miraudo, Quickflix
"This seven-Oscar wonder remains exhilarating thanks to Freddie Young's majestic desert lensing, Maurice Jarre's gorgeous score and Peter O'Toole's career-defining portrayal of the feted but flawed protagonist."
‑ William Parker, Total Film
"[It] remains one of the most intelligent, handsome, and influential of all war epics."
‑ Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
"Even the flies in the opening Cairo scene jump out at you."
‑ Douglas Pratt, Hollywood Reporter
"I epics are your thing, they don't come much grander."
‑ Philip Kemp, Total Film
"This is a movie with the excitement of a cavalry charge."
‑ Peter Bradshaw, Guardian
"It may be legend, and it may be romanticized, but "Lawrence of Arabia" feels authentic. It's as stirring an epic as Hollywood has ever produced-one reason why the American Film Institute has named it the Number 1 epic of all time."
‑ James Plath, Movie Metropolis