L'Enfer
Director Danis Tanovic picks up where the late-Krzysztof Kieslowski left off by taking on the second installment of Kieslowski's "Heaven," "Hell," and "Purgatory" trilogy (the first was adapted by Run Lola Run director Tom Tykwer) with this tale of a family whose dark past returns with a vengeance. Loosely modeled by screenwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz on the second act of Dante's Inferno, Hell tells the story of sisters Sophie (Emmanuelle Béart), Céline (Karin Viard), and Anne (Marie Gillain), whose lives were turned upside down when their father was… More

"A decidedly cold, protracted work marked by solid, but passionless performances and a preference for polished, fashion-magazine imagery."
‑ Scott Foundas, Variety
"The characters fascinate yet confuse. Surprisingly, the film keeps us at arms length. On reflection, I enjoyed the film more after it had finished, when I could dip back into this claustrophobic world and relive the unfolding of events in my mind."
‑ Urban Cinefile Critics, Urban Cinefile
"Gave me goose-bumps from both its content and its quality."
‑ Jon Popick, Planet Sick-Boy
"For all its literary references, the thing certainly looks like a shallow though slick French melodrama."
‑ Kirk Honeycutt, Hollywood Reporter
"Tanovic turns the drama of three damaged sisters... into a full-blooded opera with performances to match."
‑ Sean Axmaker, GreenCine
"The spectre of Kieslowski flutters through the film, but his eye and touch aren't there%u2014it's hard to watch L'Enfer without wondering, what would he have done?"
‑ Brian Gibson, Vue Weekly (Edmonton, Canada)
"A multi-layered tale that's as compelling on a surface level as it is laden with food-for-thought underneath."
‑ Scott Weinberg, eFilmCritic.com