Les MisÚrables
Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, Les MisÚrables tells an enthralling story of broken dreams and unrequited love, passion, sacrifice and redemption-a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Jackman plays ex-prisoner Jean Valjean, hunted for decades by the ruthless policeman Javert (Crowe) after he breaks parole. When Valjean agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's (Hathaway) young daughter, Cosette, their lives change forever. In December 2012, the world's longest-running musical brings its power to the big screen in Tom Hooper's sweeping and… More
Directed By
© Universal Pictures

"Tom Hooper gets a bit carried away with swoopy shots, and the close-ups are unrelenting, but crucially he lets the filth and the squalor in."
‑ Cath Clarke, Time Out
"At the heart of the "Les MisÚrables" movie was a good idea that just didn't work out this time. The idea was that the actors should sing their songs live on camera."
‑ Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle
"Everybody curse Tom Hooper! Everybody feel the gloom! Everybody give thumbs down to the Master of the Zoom!"
‑ Russell Hainline, Movie Mezzanine
"If the entire film were as good as the first 30 minutes, it would easily be one of the year's best pictures."
‑ Eric D. Snider, Twitch
"Any heart, any familiarity in LES MISERABLES is due solely to the actors, and remains in spite of Hooper's best efforts."
‑ Meredith Borders, Badass Digest
"Fans of the original production, no doubt, will eat the movie up, and good luck to them. I screamed a scream as time went by."
‑ Anthony Lane, New Yorker
"We're all familiar with the experience of seeing movies that cram ideas and themes down our throats. Les MisÚrables may represent the first movie to do so while also cramming us down the throats of its actors."
‑ Dana Stevens, Slate
"Ultimately the film's choppy, camera-goes-anywhere approach works well in translating a play that was never all that interested in the movement of bodies anyway-only their martyrdom."
‑ Michael Koresky, Film Comment Magazine
"This "Miz" ain't nothin' but a miss."
‑ Al Alexander, The Patriot Ledger
"The [film's] conclusion might be that tragedies deserve sympathy, not judgement...and I wish I could come to this conclusion myself but I saw a film directed by Tom Hooper."
‑ Sara Maria Vizcarrondo, Movies With Butter
"... Jackman, who should get a Nobel Prize for the way he carries pretty much the whole undertaking on his shoulders, so protean and virile is his singing and acting throughout."
‑ Glenn Kenny, MSN Movies
"Committed fans of the musical are likely to have their affections reaffirmed. The less devout, however, may conclude that in this case more is less, and fidelity not always a virtue."
‑ Christopher Orr, The Atlantic
"[Director Tom Hooper's] old fashioned take is frequently exhilarating and adamant in its unwavering desire to not be dolled up and be given a hip makeover."
‑ Glenn Dunks, Trespass
"standing as it does, nearly alone, one could certainly do worse than Hooper's brave and smart addition to the pantheon."
‑ Chris Barsanti, Film Racket
"Within the first six numbers (in a musical containing 666 of them)... Fantine... has lost her job, her teeth, her hair, her prostitute-trainee badge and her life, but not before she sings the weepiest, most maddeningly catchy Susan Boyle song in the world"
‑ Dave White, Movies.com